Submitting my application/withdrawing from a course?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twelvesixteen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all,

I'm in a bit of a conundrum here with courses and my application. Come September I will be in my final year of study for my undergrad. I am a psychology major with a 3.6 overall GPA and 3.85 in my major. I have all the prerequisites (organic chem I and biochem included) for the schools I am thinking of applying to (UC Berkeley, SCCO, Western - maybe, NECO, Pacific), except microbiology, which I plan to finish by correspondence by early August. My prereq GPA is much lower (lots of Bs, B+s, some A-s, a few As), maybe a 3.3-3.4. I worked at an optometry clinic as an assistant for a year and have shadowed three optometrists. I haven't actually gotten my letters of reference yet but three people have agreed to write them for me (one optometrist, one professor, and an extracurricular mentor). As well, I haven't written the OAT. I participate in music competitions and I dance three days a week, as well as work and volunteer.

Right now I'm taking the second organic chem in the spring 6-week term and I am absolutely dying. I study so hard every day and scraped by with a 50% on the midterm (worth 20%), but I am getting a 90% in lab (worth 20%), and 75% in assignments (worth 15%). The final is worth 45% and I am in serious danger of failing the course because if you don't get a combined 50% on the final/midterm you get an F. My first question is whether to withdraw from the course or not? I withdrew from a course Fall 2009 (ecology and evolution) because the prof was being ridiculous and yadda yadda yadda. How do you think this will affect how opto schools look at my profile?

Also, what do y'all think of my profile overall, and what do you think my game plan should be right now, and what should I complete before submitting my application?

Thank you in advance!

ETA: I am also worried because I come from a Canadian university and all of my choices are American... will this have any impact?

Members don't see this ad.

If you think you can pull off a decent grade on the final, you should go for it.

In terms of your overall application, I think it looks pretty good so far. You have an acceptable GPA and your extracurriculars/experiences are good. You should focus on scoring well on the OAT (aim for 350+), produce a good personal statement, and submit your application early. If you do that, I'm pretty confident that you'll get interviews to everywhere you apply. After that, it's all about your interview.

The decision of where you apply doesn't have any impact on your application. It's just a matter of where you think you might want to go.

Also, you should double check Berkeley's pre-requisites. I know they changed fairly recently. The one main change that I can remember off the top of my head is that they now require immunology.