Submitting on 9/15 vs. next week?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dermgalls

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does it make a difference if I submit ERAS on 9/15 vs. next week? I'm expecting to hear back about a publication and a conference soon and would like to list the updated statuses.

Members don't see this ad.

Could you please explain/elaborate? I thought there was no "downloading" anymore - so would submitting on Monday or Tuesday be bad?

Could you please explain/elaborate? I thought there was no "downloading" anymore - so would submitting on Monday or Tuesday be bad?
My apologies for not explaining it.
As gutonc mentioned, they start screening apps tomorrow morning.
It's your call to decide if you want to submit your application tonight without mentioning publication and conference (in that case you can add that to your personal statement as and when you get the confirmation about your publication and conference).
OR
You can wait till ?next week to get the confirmation about your publication and conference and add that to your application. But by waiting you might miss out the early screening process (the first wave). You have to balance that with the importance of your publication and conference.
in reality programs cannot screen thousands of applications in one go but you have to understand that you are losing out as the time passes. You would like to think that Program directors don't work on weekends but they do. Personally I think 2-3 day will not make a whole lot of difference.
You may want to post your question in this thread which has better visibility and where your question might get an answer from a program director.
I'm in a similar situation as your's as my LOR are still being processed and have to decide if should I submit my application by tomorrow morning and assign LORs as and when they become available or wait till they are available before submitting my application.

Last edited:
Thank you both for your replies. I am in the same LOR boat - 2 of mine won't be uploaded until next week, so I'm trying to decide if I should wait.

To people still waiting for LoRs: submit your application now if it's ready otherwise, assign letters to programs as soon as they become available. Some programs only review complete applications including the required letters, but others only really look at your letters before your interview day - and you don't want to miss out on early review/interview invites from those.

Reactions: 1 users
Re waiting to hear about publications, conference acceptances etc: you can always update programs about these by email.

To people still waiting for LoRs: submit your application now if it's ready otherwise, assign letters to programs as soon as they become available. Some programs only review complete applications including the required letters, but others only really look at your letters before your interview day - and you don't want to miss out on early review/interview invites from those.
Thanks. I was looking for an answer to this.

Thank you both for your replies. I am in the same LOR boat - 2 of mine won't be uploaded until next week, so I'm trying to decide if I should wait.
No. You absolutely should not wait. For most specialties, LORs are used in the interview/ranking process and much less (if at all) in the interview offer process. The only time a LOR will materially change your interview offer options is if you are a borderline candidate and you get a stellar LOR from Anthony Fauci or (insert your specialty's national god here), then you might get interviews you otherwise wouldn't. Not having 3 LORs when your app goes in is not the end of the world.

Reactions: 1 users
No. You absolutely should not wait. For most specialties, LORs are used in the interview/ranking process and much less (if at all) in the interview offer process. The only time a LOR will materially change your interview offer options is if you are a borderline candidate and you get a stellar LOR from Anthony Fauci or (insert your specialty's national god here), then you might get interviews you otherwise wouldn't. Not having 3 LORs when your app goes in is not the end of the world.
Thanks!