Submitting primary in August for certain schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

p4m123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my application has been verified and I've added about 15 schools already, however, prewriting my secondaries is taking longer than I expected as I am much busier than I thought I would be. I am planning to apply to 22-23 schools total. Would it be a good idea to add the rest of my schools at the beginning of August when I will have prewritten more prompts/will have more time in the moment to write them? Or will this put me at a disadvantage?

Members don't see this ad.

I've seen people say that as long as secondaries are in before labor day they're not late though. Would it take that long for schools to send the secondary?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've seen people say that as long as secondaries are in before labor day they're not late though. Would it take that long for schools to send the secondary?
Most schools do rolling admissions, so first come first serve. By August MD schools usually already have thousands of applications to sort through. If your stats aren't extraordinary, then I don't think it's a good idea to submit primaries in August.

Reactions: 1 user
Most schools do rolling admissions, so first come first serve. By August MD schools usually already have thousands of applications to sort through. If your stats aren't extraordinary, then I don't think it's a good idea to submit primaries in August.

If OP is quick with the turnaround for secondaries, they should be fine. Many do state (including ADCOMs) that being complete before Labor Day is fine.

The only date that matters here is when the schools receive your full completed application (primary and secondary). Secondaries should also get easier to write as you go along. Is there a way to temporarily decrease your other responsibilities to give you time to work through the secondaries?

Unfortunately I won't really be able to decrease my responsibilities. I'm closing out my service as a Peace Corps volunteer, and it might be a bit irresponsible of me, but properly finishing my projects and saying goodbye to my community are more important to me than a handful of schools at the bottom of my list. I think I will add 2-3 schools now and the rest later and hope for the best. I should have about 18 applications submitted early anyways. Thanks for all your input and different perspectives!