Submitting secondaries sept/october -- advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

anonywombat

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi yall,

I'm super stressed and need some advice. Been going through a lot these past few months and have had very little motivation to complete my secondaries. I got verified around august and I still haven't submitted secondaries for the vast majority of my schools. I'm hoping to get them within next two weeks but at this point I don't know. I'm super discouraged tbh and feeling like it'll be futile to even submit. My original goal was to get into a t20. I have good stats 4.0/526 and feel like I just wasted 4 years of effort because of this.

Any advice from adcoms on my chances for this cycle / any words of encouragement appreciated. Thank you all so much
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi yall,

I'm super stressed and need some advice. Been going through a lot these past few months and have had very little motivation to complete my secondaries. I got verified around august and I still haven't submitted secondaries for the vast majority of my schools. I'm hoping to get them within next two weeks but at this point I don't know. I'm super discouraged tbh and feeling like it'll be futile to even submit. My original goal was to get into a t20. I have good stats 4.0/526 and feel like I just wasted 4 years of effort because of this.

Any advice from adcoms on my chances for this cycle / any words of encouragement appreciated. Thank you all so much
What is keeping you from working on them one by one? There will be common themes and you won’t have to reinvent literature for each one.
A bigger question is whether the stresses in your life would continue to affect your concentration by the time you would start med school, or whether needing to be close to home will lead you to leaving some schools off your list
 
Hi yall,

I'm super stressed and need some advice. Been going through a lot these past few months and have had very little motivation to complete my secondaries. I got verified around august and I still haven't submitted secondaries for the vast majority of my schools. I'm hoping to get them within next two weeks but at this point I don't know. I'm super discouraged tbh and feeling like it'll be futile to even submit. My original goal was to get into a t20. I have good stats 4.0/526 and feel like I just wasted 4 years of effort because of this.

Any advice from adcoms on my chances for this cycle / any words of encouragement appreciated. Thank you all so much

Make A Plan Hope GIF by StickerGiant


If you have no passion to become a physician, it's okay to admit you don't. Spare us patients from your lack of concern for us.

We have no WAMC profile on you, and the first thing I noticed is that you didn't mention any clinical experience. If you aren't motivated to work as a physician to fill out secondaries with your stats, perhaps now is not the time to pursue medicine. After all, it seems you're looking at getting into medical school as an accomplishment, not a calling.

I mean, what have you been doing? Your first post was in JULY!???

Snap Out Of It Wake Up GIF by Top 100 Movie Quotes of All Time
 
Last edited:
It's tough to do the whole med school application thing when there's outside stuff going on too. I was in a similar boat when I was applying. It's not too late. A lot of the top schools don't have rolling admissions, so your chances are better. Prioritize the schools you're most interested in, get some of the secondaries done, and since there's a lot of overlap between the major essays, it will be easier from there. If you have good extracurriculars and writing in addition to your stats, that will help you get your foot in the door.

I submitted my secondaries late August to late September (and a few early October) and I had a very successful cycle and am now very happy at a top school. My stats were just under what yours are. It's not over!

I find it difficult to balance self-compassion with accountability as a recovering perfectionist with ADHD and a tendency toward shame and self-criticism. I hope you are able to find this balance. Some things that were helpful for me were to set small goals for every day to build feelings of competency. Engage in somatic practices to help you feel more grounded and self-compassionate (some examples include the DBT skill of half smile and willing hands, or listen to a lovingkindness meditation). You got this, friend. Wishing you well!
 
Make A Plan Hope GIF by StickerGiant


If you have no passion to become a physician, it's okay to admit you don't. Spare us patients from your lack of concern for us.

We have no WAMC profile on you, and the first thing I noticed is that you didn't mention any clinical experience. If you aren't motivated to work as a physician to fill out secondaries with your stats, perhaps now is not the time to pursue medicine. After all, it seems you're looking at getting into medical school as an accomplishment, not a calling.

I mean, what have you been doing? Your first post was in JULY!???

Snap Out Of It Wake Up GIF by Top 100 Movie Quotes of All Time
It’s hard man. Job market sucks and for most grads getting a good job and moving out is a more immediate concern than drilling secondaries.