Suboxone

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phloston

Osaka, Japan
Removed
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The top of p. 496 of FA mentions suboxone.

It says it's naloxone + buprenorphine. Then it goes on to say that naloxone is not active when taken orally, so withdrawal symptoms occur only if injected.

Does this mean oral suboxone is essentially just giving buprenorphine? And if so, then what in the world is the point of ever giving oral suboxone?

And if injecting it causes withdrawal symptoms, I'm assuming it would only be used in that context during an episode of intoxication, rather than for maintenance therapy?

Could someone please elaborate?

Cheers,

Members don't see this ad.

The naloxone is added solely to prevent the injection of the buprenorphine by people attempting to use the drug to get high.

Given its indication for addiction treatment, its an important additive.

The naloxone is added solely to prevent the injection of the buprenorphine by people attempting to use the drug to get high.

Exactly. It's used just like methadone to treat opiate addiction/dependence. It is given in sublingual strips for ease of dosing depending on the patients needs and level of dependence.

The patients may have the idea to melt and inject it, hence the need for the naloxone. Suboxone clinics are interesting places, as I attend one twice a week for my current rotation.

Exactly. It's used just like methadone to treat opiate addiction/dependence. It is given in sublingual strips for ease of dosing depending on the patients needs and level of dependence.

The patients may have the idea to melt and inject it, hence the need for the naloxone. Suboxone clinics are interesting places, as I attend one twice a week for my current rotation.

Yeah, that would be quite an idea. Sounds great. People are ridiculous. But now that I think of it, that almost sounds too obvious considering all of the crackheads (or heroin addicts) out there.

Thanks for the explanation, guys.