subscore cutoffs for DO schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dmplz707

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys does anyone know what the subscore cutoffs are for DO schools? I got my MCAT scores today and I received a dismal 6 on VR :( and I'm worried that it might shut me out with some of the DO schools. Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

From what I know, this may shut you out of some, but not all. One of my friends interviewed at TouroCA and was accepted to UMDNJ with a 5 in verbal.

I'd suggest contacting the schools you want to apply to and ask them directly- a lot of them will tell you if they have a minimum.

Try the search function also, I've seen this type of thing asked a few times.

Hey guys does anyone know what the subscore cutoffs are for DO schools? I got my MCAT scores today and I received a dismal 6 on VR :( and I'm worried that it might shut me out with some of the DO schools. Thanks a lot.

Yup, this has been asked extensively in the MCAT forums as well as here just this last week. A 6 will get you screened out of some schools (consensus seems to be it's pretty subjective), but its up to you and that phone of yours to figure it out for yourself!

Here's a good starting point, the 2012 CIB for free download: http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Pages/default.aspx

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I know, this may shut you out of some, but not all. One of my friends interviewed at TouroCA and was accepted to UMDNJ with a 5 in verbal.

I'd suggest contacting the schools you want to apply to and ask them directly- a lot of them will tell you if they have a minimum.

Try the search function also, I've seen this type of thing asked a few times.

maybe we know the same person. There are a lot of people being accepted with a 6 in verbal. I'd say you still have a good chance if your gpa is high and your total score was over 24.

Thanks a lot guys. I have 27M (9PS, 6VR, 12BS) with a 3.59 cgpa and 3.54 sgpa. So far PCOM requires at least an 8 in each of the subsections. I believe KCUMB requires at least a 7 in each of the subsections but I'll give them a call later on to make sure.