Subsituting BR Ochem for EK OChem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rdr949

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I made an executive decision...I'm ditching BR Ochem for the less detailed, more focused EK Ochem.

My logic is this: The content outline published my AAMCS has 12 pages of Bio content and 4 pages of OChem content. (1/3) of the BS section essentially.

For such a small portion, I'd rather have a GOOD IDEA than learn that stuff cold. There are a lot of small details to get stuck on, which is why I just ditched the BR OChem, seems like a course complement rather than a test aid.

Test in 3 months.

What do you guys think?

(Note: I'm not an Ochem expert. Worst subject I took as an undergrad. But I'm also someone who likes efficiency. BR just doesn't seem efficient. Too much info with no MCAT focus. Passages are great though...)

Members don't see this ad.

Don't do it!

The problem is that EK will NOT give you a "good idea" of Ochem. It will give you lists and reactions to memorize.

BR Ochem is *very* intimidating at first, but if you stick with it, you will reap the rewards. It teaches you how to think through problems and imparts very helpful tricks. I only have five or six weeks to study for the MCAT and BR Ochem was well worth it.

~Kalyx

I totally agree. If you use the BR Orgo book you will actually learn the concepts behind the organic chemistry, which will help you remember it when it comes to test taking time. Although, I understand there is the potential that your actual exam will have little organic on it any way. But if you did the BR Orgo books you would be sure to get them right.

The BR Ochem is really beefy...it goes over reactions not even on the MCAT outline.

My only fear is spending time on some useless topic when I could have been spending that time on passages or another subject entirely.

No point in buying the farm when all you want is the milk.

Are my fears valid or what?

Members don't see this ad :)
The best I can tell you is that I was in the same boat you're now in, seriously contemplating skipping BR Ochem... but then people on here convinced me to stick with it and I'm glad that I did! I don't recall BR going over reactions that we don't have to know. In fact, it doesn't really go over many reactions at all! Again, that's the strength: it teaches you how to *think*. With all the time left that you have to study, I absolutely think it's worth it. :thumbup:

~Kalyx

The BR Ochem is really beefy...it goes over reactions not even on the MCAT outline.

My only fear is spending time on some useless topic when I could have been spending that time on passages or another subject entirely.

No point in buying the farm when all you want is the milk.

Are my fears valid or what?

I went through the AAMC list I can't find anything in the BR book that isn't listed as a reaction or concept to know. I have an older version of BR O Chem (2009), so maybe it's changed. It sure looks good to me.

I'd trust your fellow SDNers.

Thanks a lot guys...

I already skipped section 1 and did the EK chapter 1. Covers practically all the same stuff. No problems understanding. I'll probably go over it skimming since I already took notes from the EK book.

But per your advice, I will forgo the shorter route and go with the longer BR route...

Go big or go home, right?

AYE. Section II in BR Ochem is 54 pages!!!! kill me. please.

If you got two more questions (potentially the difference between say an 11 or 12 on BS) more right because you used BR Orgo instead of EK orgo would it be worth it? I would think so :)