Subspecialty surgery on Shelf?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Qwest

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do we need to know the subspecialty surgery topics (ortho, ent, urology, ped surgery, neuro, etc...) for the surgery shelf exam?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Qwest said:
Do we need to know the subspecialty surgery topics (ortho, ent, urology, ped surgery, neuro, etc...) for the surgery shelf exam?

Thanks

Yes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Qwest said:

Thanks

I thought ped surgery was well-represented on the shelf which was good for me considering I did 4 weeks of ped surg. Neuro and ENT not so much. Everything else was in between.

Aww man... I'm stuck doing 4 weeks of Ortho. I don't know a thing about the other subspecialties. Is the surgical subspecialties section of Surg Recall enough? Would you consider general surg to make up say 80% of the exam?

Thanks again

Qwest said:
Aww man... I'm stuck doing 4 weeks of Ortho. I don't know a thing about the other subspecialties. Is the surgical subspecialties section of Surg Recall enough? Would you consider general surg to make up say 80% of the exam?

Thanks again

for me i would say it was 90-10 general-specialties. i would say recall would be sufficient, especially if u've had medicine already.

All I read was Surgical Recall, and I did fine.

orientedtoself said:
All I read was Surgical Recall, and I did fine.

Surgical Recall may be somewhat "low yield." I think it functions best for preparing for possible OR pimping, or for reviewing a topic you already know (2 pages of fun-facts won't give you a good understanding of SBO, etc).

I definitely over-studied for this shelf (first aid, blueprints, Pretest, A&L q's, some Lawrence)....but I think maybe the best info, including subspecialties, is in Pretest.....

I did my surg rotation about a month ago. There is most def subspecialy surg stuff on there. I had a decent bit on trauma and urological stuff with a fair bit of peds in there too. I dont think that surg recall can do much for you regarding the shelf. It is great for pimp sessions but notquite as much for the shelf. I used A&L and pretest and did quite well.