Longcatislong

7+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2010
Status
Dental Student
I'm applying to formal post-bac programs right now (Mills, SFSU and CSU East Bay). In Spring 2011, however, I would like to get a head start on some courses by taking pre-calc and general bio through Open University at SFSU. Has anyone had experience taking classes through Open University at a large state school? My concern is that they'll be hard to get into since, as a non-registered student, I'll be lowest priority on the registration list.

kkw002

7+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2010
Status
Medical Student
I'm applying to formal post-bac programs right now (Mills, SFSU and CSU East Bay). In Spring 2011, however, I would like to get a head start on some courses by taking pre-calc and general bio through Open University at SFSU. Has anyone had experience taking classes through Open University at a large state school? My concern is that they'll be hard to get into since, as a non-registered student, I'll be lowest priority on the registration list.
I went to SDSU for open university. Yes you'll definitely be of lowest priority, but then it wasn't hard for me to get into the classes, simply because they want your money (ya $200/unit). They basically just opened up another section just for us open university students when we couldn't get into the regular sections. But obviously you would not have much flexibility on the schedules since you'll have to take whatever they open up. So I had to make adjustments on my work schedule after my classes at SDSU were finalized. This was for SDSU and I don't know how it is at SFSU, but I just think it shouldn't be hard to get in the class you want, assuming you are able to take whatever spot opens up. Hope this helps.

OP
Longcatislong

Longcatislong

7+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2010
Status
Dental Student
Thank you!

How long ago did you take those classes at SDSU? It seems that everywhere I look, even at our local junior college, general biology and other pre-med classes fill up rather fast (like, on the first day of open registration).

I'm just a little worried that I'll spend so much effort (and money on books) trying to get into the class, then fail because the sections all fill up.

Apr 15, 2010
San Jose, CA
Status
Pre-Medical
Thank you!

How long ago did you take those classes at SDSU? It seems that everywhere I look, even at our local junior college, general biology and other pre-med classes fill up rather fast (like, on the first day of open registration).

I'm just a little worried that I'll spend so much effort (and money on books) trying to get into the class, then fail because the sections all fill up.
Yeah I was trying to do the same thing this past summer. sfsu, sjsu, cal, davis and south bay community colleges all seemed pretty hard to get courses on open enrollment. Then again I was looking into upper-div bio courses like anatomy (which I hear is a pretty popular course).

Have you considered extension schools? I ended up taking my anatomy course at Berkeley Extension - pretty satisfied so far with they way it has gone. Also you don't have to compete for spots with all the undergrads. It was pretty easy to enroll...pretty much just pay for the class and you're in.

kkw002

7+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Thank you!

I took 2 classes Spring semester this year, and I'll be taking 2 more classes upcoming Spring. Yeah general biology always fills up as it's required for many students. The classes i took were actually full, but there were a whole section of open university students wanting to crash into those classes so they opened a new section just for us. I don't know if that's supposed to be a rare case or something but they definitely can make some money out of us so it would be worth it to open a new section anyways.

It is true that it can be risky because there is just no guarantee you'll get into the classes. I am quitting my current job to take another 2 classes next month, or i should say "hope" to get in those 2 classes~~ not to mention that i have to relocate to San Diego just for those classes. So there are definitely sacrifices u have to make to try and get a seat (money, time, etc) But if i were u, i wouldn't spend money on books until you have got a seat in the class (although i never buy textbooks for classes, i just go to the library haha).