Success rate of those who applied with your cGPA and MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is awesome!

Members don't see this ad.

I also have about a 70% chance of getting accepted with my stats... If only I was a US citizen or Green Card holder X_X

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What's going on with the 3.11 gpa line?

Several of the lines show counterintuitive trends. I talked about this in one of the posts at the beginning of the thread, but basically that's what the data shows because n is low for those points.

I think we can safely reject the notion that higher MCAT made these students less desirable to adcoms

The first graphs show success in what? success in gaining admission into medical school? or in making it through med school?

The first graphs show success in what? success in gaining admission into medical school? or in making it through med school?

Hi hugsnki, welcome to the forums. The graphs are showing percentages of students accepted at one or more med school. This is explained further in post #2. They have nothing to do with finishing med school.

The AAMC says that 96% of US MD students graduate within 10 years of starting med school https://www.aamc.org/download/153708/data/charts1982to2012.pdf

I'm working on some big changes for this thread, but I figured I might as well post the updated version of Figure 1 since I think it's pretty much done!

The rest of the figures have not been updated yet

Man

I wish I am black!

Btw, is this for MD or MD and DO

Last edited:
I'm working on some big changes for this thread, but I figured I might as well post the updated version of Figure 1 since I think it's pretty much done!

The rest of the figures have not been updated yet

Very nice! :thumbup:

Updated all of the useful figures.

Still want to update the last couple (Figure 11 and 12) but those are just kinda bonus figures that show some interesting data trends

So basically people that identify as black, can easily get with a 3.4GPA and a 36 MCAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
It means that 80% of applicants with a 3.9/30 were accepted into a medical school.

It would seem that in this situation the low relatively MCAT score is a factor.

I have always been lead to believe that a high GPA should have a corresponding MCAT score. If that isn't true there is some suspicion about the rigor of the school's curriculum or possible grade inflation.

Conversely, get a relatively low GPA and a high MCAT score is good.

My daughter just graduated from Willliams College, where it is very hard to get A. She was told that there is 80% chance of applicant from Williams with at least B+ (~ 3.35) to be admitted into some medical school.

She was told that the average GPA was actually ~ 3.45 for those accepted. This without knowing what the MCAT score is/was.

She has a friend that went to Brown who was told that unless student had at least 3.80 GPA, the school would not process application. Brown definitely has grade inflation. It is also a way making sure that the statistics look good.

In summary, the GPA isn't everything. The MCAT is more important since it is a predictor of how applicant will do on STEP 1.

Thank you so much it made me feel so much better can please also include 2012 data
Thanks

If you are really interested in having an idea of how applicants have done why don't you got to medapplicants.com, which is related to sdn.

You will find the medical schools. For each medical school you can click on accepted and have a sample of those who were accepted. The most recent is the 2012 cycle, which means the current new class.

You must realize that information provide might not be accurate but it should give you some idea.

It gives you an idea of GPA (both cGPA and sGPA) and MCAT (divided into component parts).

It provides information about each applicant's experience.

Do med school try to verify ethnicity at all?

If you describe yourself as AA and discuss how discrimination affected your college success and some very white looking person shows up for the interview, it might be a problem.
One person described himself as AA on the optional questions on a very competitive fellowship application. A very Caucasian WASPy guy showed up at the interview. Nobody asked, everyone noticed. He didn't get in, though not necessarily for that. But it may have influenced his rating at the interviews.

If you describe yourself as AA and discuss how discrimination affected your college success and some very white looking person shows up for the interview, it might be a problem.
One person described himself as AA on the optional questions on a very competitive fellowship application. A very Caucasian WASPy guy showed up at the interview. Nobody asked, everyone noticed. He didn't get in, though not necessarily for that. But it may have influenced his rating at the interviews.

Why didn't anyone ask? If he was lying, it might stop him from doing it again. If it was genetics playing a freaky limbo game, it could have made for a compelling story (identifying as white to avoid discrimination but feeling guilt over denying AA family and heritage, it's practically a Hollywood story!).

Sorry if that sounds flippant, I'm being serious. Weird things happen.

I'm not asking ANY questions about race, gender, sexuality, family life, kids, etc. at a professional interview. That's how you all get sued (and lose) when the candidate doesn't get the position. If you want to bring it up, that's fine. I'm not asking any probing follow up questions about it either.
One of our friends is the VP of HR for the US office of a large corporation, they get paid to screen these people using tricks to get the applicants to admit things that they cannot legally ask. It's a common tactic. There's a tell all book about it that she recommended to my wife when she was looking for an executive level job with a different company (Marital status, kids, health and disability hx, spouse's job, etc.). Her HR interviews (2) tried variations of many of the techniques in the book to extract that info.
Forewarned is forearmed.
In medicine we're all amateur interviewers. If they got good training, have a couple LORs saying they don't suck, want to work there, can communicate in English, and don't have any felony convictions, they've got a good chance at a job. The corporate world is ultra competitive and cutthroat, particularly for senior level positions.

Well, according to those charts I have about a 75% chance of being accepted somewhere...too bad weren't complete until very recently for some schools (secondaries included). Also, I have a 3.97 GPA from a very good school, and a low MCAT of a 27. I took it in August after 3 weeks of studying and then in September after 1.5 months of studying and did significantly worse than my AAMC averages, which was a 32. I got the flu 4 days before my exam and ended up getting the same score. However, I am Mexican. I just hope they don't see my GPA as a fluke or something just because my MCAT scores are low.

Which GPA should you use? The GPA used in the graphs below is total undergraduate GPA. You may use this spreadsheet to calculate your GPA. For official information on how your GPA is calculated, look at the following AMCAS resource. Your AMCAS GPA may be different from your school's calculation.

Which MCAT should you use? The MCAT score represented in the AAMC data is for the most recent score for each applicant. Keep in mind that each medical school may have their own policy on how they view multiple test scores.

What percentages are displayed? The percentages displayed in this thread are the percent of applicants with one or more acceptance at a U.S. allopathic (M.D.) school. The historical acceptance percentage also varies depending on ethnicity/race. Those percentages are displayed in later posts. Also, note that this percentage is only based on two data points-- cGPA and MCAT. A variety of other factors go into each admissions decision, so this percentage should not be taken to mean "your chance at acceptance."

Again, kind of dumb quesitgon. What are you going to do, not apply? Just apply and see how you do. Don't worry if you don't fit hte quota or minority. Do what you want to do not what you doubt.

Ugh... why do I have to be asian.

Can I just NOT check what race I am?

I think that the best resource I've seen is AMCAS's Twitter feed https://twitter.com/amcasinfo
They have provided periodic updates about the number of submitted apps. Most recent tweet from an hour ago was 42,135 submitted apps. 6 days ago it was 40,267. Should be winding down as they usually top out around 43k/44k
People submitting now are certainly way behind you since you were already verified
Does anyone know where to find a chart of "total applicants, interviewed, enrolled for both instate and out of state", for all the schools?

If someone is Asian but say, Pakistani, which is not very well represented in school's matriculant data, does that person get a different look than someone who is asian but Indian, considering that Indians usually have a much larger matriculant presence?

Why didn't anyone ask? If he was lying, it might stop him from doing it again. If it was genetics playing a freaky limbo game, it could have made for a compelling story (identifying as white to avoid discrimination but feeling guilt over denying AA family and heritage, it's practically a Hollywood story!).

Sorry if that sounds flippant, I'm being serious. Weird things happen.
I'm not asking ANY questions about race, gender, sexuality, family life, kids, etc. at a professional interview. That's how you all get sued (and lose) when the candidate doesn't get the position. If you want to bring it up, that's fine. I'm not asking any probing follow up questions about it either.
One of our friends is the VP of HR for the US office of a large corporation, they get paid to screen these people using tricks to get the applicants to admit things that they cannot legally ask. It's a common tactic. There's a tell all book about it that she recommended to my wife when she was looking for an executive level job with a different company (Marital status, kids, health and disability hx, spouse's job, etc.). Her HR interviews (2) tried variations of many of the techniques in the book to extract that info.
Forewarned is forearmed.
In medicine we're all amateur interviewers. If they got good training, have a couple LORs saying they don't suck, want to work there, can communicate in English, and don't have any felony convictions, they've got a good chance at a job. The corporate world is ultra competitive and cutthroat, particularly for senior level positions.

I get your reservations about asking a question like that. But then like FumblyBumbly pointed out, how is a half black person who looks white supposed to defend themselves against assumptions like these? (Those are fair assumptions though!) I have met half black people with blonde hair and look completely white.

Question... For the excel to determine your AMCAS gpa... How does one factor in a course that they retook?

Thanks for the help! Great thread!

Question... For the excel to determine your AMCAS gpa... How does one factor in a course that they retook?

Thanks for the help! Great thread!
It averages. Aka just put them both in and forget they were the same.

TedCoxen-com-LikeUsOnFacebook20141029AAF.jpg

from the defunct crackhospital website, found reposted on tedcoxen.com.

Big thing is NEVER EVER GIVE up if you want to be a doctor.
4 years of college + more
look forward to 4 years of med school
3+ years of residency + fellowship? + AN ENTIRE LIFELONG CAREER OF JOY, CONSTANT LEARNING, MAKING A DIFFERENCE, HELPING OTHERS, SERVING SOCIETY.

IF YOU WANT IT BAD ENOUGH -> YOU CAN DO IT!!

Question, Why does it not have info for Native American/ Alaskan alone? It has data for African American, latino, Native american, it has data for African American, and it has data for Latino. But it has no data for just Native American... Porque?

Question, Why does it not have info for Native American/ Alaskan alone? It has data for African American, latino, Native american, it has data for African American, and it has data for Latino. But it has no data for just Native American... Porque?
Probably too small of a sample size to perform meaningful data analysis.

Figure 1 (click on graph for higher resolution)

Find the colored line closest to your cumulative undergraduate GPA (cGPA) by using the legend on the right. Then find your MCAT score on the x-axis. Your historical acceptance percentage is on the y-axis.

The solid lines correspond with the actual AAMC data. The dotted lines are merely interpolated lines drawn halfway between the solid lines.

Contour plot of the same data

Figure 2 (click on figure for higher resolution)
Great work! thanks so much!

Chances for applicants who self-identify as Hispanic or Latino

Figure 3 (click on graph for higher resolution)
I don't understand why the 3.11 GPA (bottom line) % accepted rapidly declines after 34 MCAT?

I don't understand why the 3.11 GPA (bottom line) % accepted rapidly declines after 34 MCAT?
The short answer is that it's because of sample size. Only 1 person applied with those stats and he/she wasn't accepted, so the accepted % for those stats was 0% and the graph looks weird because of that.

You will see some other "strange" things in the stats for the same reason.

All of the graphs are based on real life data, not approximations or a model or anything.

When will thee #s be updated for '13 and '14 ?

Do you have a chart like those but for international students?
Unfortunately, data specific to International applicants and matriculants is much less specific and not race-based.

Canadian and other internationals

AAMC 2010-2011 stats for acceptance: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=10355297 (included because older stats broke down the differences between Canadians and all other Internationals, which AMCAS doesn't do anymore).

2014 stats: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...schools-i-am-targeting.1114337/#post-16038685

Unfortunately, data specific to International applicants and matriculants is much less specific and not race-based.

Canadian and other internationals

AAMC 2010-2011 stats for acceptance: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=10355297 (included because older stats broke down the differences between Canadians and all other Internationals, which AMCAS doesn't do anymore).

2014 stats: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...schools-i-am-targeting.1114337/#post-16038685
Thanks!

Hopefully I'll have time over winter break!
Any updates yet??? The AAMC charts look fairly similar to 2014 numbers-wise, but these graphs are much more readable even if they won't look incredibly different--or maybe they do, a graph would help, hint. No just kidding, not trying to be demanding. This is great work though, probably one of the most important singular post on SDN.

Hey everyone,

I am a Junior studying Cell and Molecular Biology. I currently have a 3.86 Cum and 3.7 Science. I want so badly to be a DO, it is my dream to serve those in need with the knowledge and training provided by a DO program. Unfortunately, I got a 20 on my first MCAT. I am Latina so my chances statistically are not terrible (40% chance of acceptance), but I am wondering whether or not to apply to my first choice (VCOM) as well as a few other schools or wait. I don't want to rush into the 2015 MCAT because I am not conditioned or prepared for the material and time required for that exam just yet. I will need many months of practice.

Current options:
1) Apply this cycle and see what happens...
2) Wait until I graduate and focus for 6 months on MCAT studying ONLY (no job or school) and retake it to apply for that next cycle.
3) Apply for a post-bacc program that has a linkage agreement and then take the MCAT after that (2 years after graduation).

Help? Suggestions? Advice? ALL IS APPRECIATED.

Thank you.