success with destroyer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arginine1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering how well did you guys do on the destroyer.

I know that it's challenging and worth your while just for practice purposes, but also due to that exact reason.. many problems are challenging.. I felt my orgo knowledge was pretty good and then I begin doing the destroyer and found that that I make a ton of mistakes. Unfortunately I don't know how to gauge my mistakes vs. correct problems since there is no standardized score..

Anyone care to share?

I personally get about 50/50 right and wrong answers.. :(

Members don't see this ad.

Destroyer is meant to teach you, as well as help you recognize what you don't know. Many of the questions are more of an explanation of a topic or concept rather than something you might see on the DAT. By having to think by answering questions and learning from mistakes you learn and reinforce the material. Both Chem and OChem I would get about 50/50 correct and bio I would get around 3/4 correct the first time around.

I was wondering the same thing. On the bio i miss around 2-3 per 20. I am still trying to tie the loose knots. So i think you should brush up on your orgo. I have heard here that if you understand destroyer, then you will be successful on DAT.

I agree that they have some tricky problems. The first thirty I think I missed about 2-3 Problems. I did the next thirty and missed about 4-5 problems. And thats all I can remember. But remember I just finished taking the second half of o-chem at the end of july and had to study for the acs final exam. Gen chem on the other hand is a little more difficult but after watch chads videos and going through the acs study guid for it I am only missing about 4-6 problems every thirty. I think the BIG thing that is important is that you mark the ones you are getting wrong and go over them again within a reasonable amount of time to make sure that the concept sticks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Destroyer is meant to teach you, as well as help you recognize what you don't know. Many of the questions are more of an explanation of a topic or concept rather than something you might see on the DAT. By having to think by answering questions and learning from mistakes you learn and reinforce the material. Both Chem and OChem I would get about 50/50 correct and bio I would get around 3/4 correct the first time around.

Yeah.. I'm with you on that.. I just wasn't sure what my miserable results meant... but thanks for sharing, it's good to know I'm not the only one suffering this way.

It doesn't matter how many you got wrong or right.
Somone can get 10 right out of 60 and still score higher than someone who got 40 out of 60. Its about what you get out of it and what mistakes you learn from. Don't worry about your %.

However, don't rely on the destroyer to help you increase your learning.
Its meant to REINFORCE your learning and will by no means solidify your foundations in science.

Try doing destroyer once. Put it down, study plenty, then pick it up again.
It'll be much easier. The Ochem and Gchem you should understand at least 80% of it to be ready for both sections. As for bio, your practice scores mean nothing and it's a fresh new slate of questions once the DAT comes up! Just stick with studying the topics you DONT know with priority.