Suggestion for improving getting accepted into DPT programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Go.TO.Be.a.PT

Working hard
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay guys,

So I have a low GPA, and I am not considered a competitive applicant, I have (3.0 overall). I don't want to give up on my dream of becoming a PT. I have been told by one school that the last 45 credits are looked at. What I don't know if this is the last 45 credits directly towards my major (biology) or if they can be any upper level course. So I have a few option, I could take undergraduate classes after I graduate, enroll in a Masters program, or try to get a second bachelors degree.
concerns undergrad course post grad: I will not be working towards a degree, and not sure if the course will really count. Masters: I am not sure if I can get a really I GPA (3.5+)

If anyone has any suggestions about what I should do, I would really appreciate it!

Has anyone been accepted into PT school with a 3.0? If so where were you accepted?

Members don't see this ad.

I've been accepted at Touro University Nevada, invited to interview at University of the Sciences in Philly, and waitlisted at Washington University in StL so far. Of the 4 schools I've heard back from thus far, only 1 has flat out rejected me and I have a sub 3.0 cGPA.

I was also accepted into Touro University Nevada this year as well. This is my second application cycle and my cGPA is 3.13 and my Pre-Req is 2.9. My both of my GPAs are dragged down by two poor Chemistry classes and 2 Math classes. I retook chemistry at the end of my undergrad degree and did significantly better - just unfortunate that both grades are factored into the GPA. And after being rejected from 14 schools last application cycle I decided to take a few more classes and retake one of those math classes. I know it won't make drastic changes to my GPA but it does help and does show progress. I like to think enough so that I was accepted this year :) My suggestion is to not give up just yet, a low GPA is not the end all for your DPT aspirations. If you can definitely take some more classes and retake anything you think you can do better in, just because they are post-undergrad and not towards a specific degree doesn't mean they don't count. they definitely count if you send in the transcripts for them. And dont forget the importance of the GRE and clinic hours. If grades aren't your thing try and get some more hours in various settings instead. Everything helps - and no one gets into DPT on grades of clinic hours alone. Keep your head up and keep motivated! Good Luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Your highest priority here should be to retake any and all pre req classes to get As. Then if you happen to still have time or want to take more classes, I would go after upper level science. I don't think it will help you to get a masters (I have one, it's more credits sure, but none of the pre reqs). So you can end up doing awesome in a masters and still getting rejected because of your low pre req.

Yes, courses after you graduate will count. They do not have to be towards a degree.

Currently in my first semester at Arcadia University near Philadelphia. Applied with a 3.15 overall, 3.11 prereq. I didn't retake any of my Cs in chemistry, and physiology, I didn't have the time. I did really well on the GRE (162/161/5.0) and was accepted off the waiting list in my second year of applications.

pre req gpa is significantly more important.....ive been to open houses that state the prereq will determine interview in conjunction with hours and gre scores.

Okay guys,

So I have a low GPA, and I am not considered a competitive applicant, I have (3.0 overall). I don't want to give up on my dream of becoming a PT. I have been told by one school that the last 45 credits are looked at. What I don't know if this is the last 45 credits directly towards my major (biology) or if they can be any upper level course. So I have a few option, I could take undergraduate classes after I graduate, enroll in a Masters program, or try to get a second bachelors degree.
concerns undergrad course post grad: I will not be working towards a degree, and not sure if the course will really count. Masters: I am not sure if I can get a really I GPA (3.5+)

If anyone has any suggestions about what I should do, I would really appreciate it!

Has anyone been accepted into PT school with a 3.0? If so where were you accepted?
So there's a thread in SDN somewhere (I tried, but can't find it again :( sorry! ) that has all the schools that accept cGPA and pGPA that's lower than 3.0. It was great actually because I'm kinda of in the same boat as you. Anyways, there is definitely hope for you. I would really look at schools that look at the higher grade if you retake a class, that can really help your pGPA. And about schools looking at a certain amount of "last" credits, those credits are usually the ones that are taken toward the end. I'm sorry if I'm confusing you, but feel free to PM me if you are confused by this haha. Sorry!

Retake some prerequisites if you can. Get a study guide for the GRE and do well on that. Write a great essay. The essay is more important than most people think. My interviewer spoke a great deal about things that I talked about in my essay. Make sure you get great LOR's and, if possible, get them from professors who taught you in your prerequisite classes. I chose two anatomy professors since that is a large part of PT. Plus make sure to shadow in a variety of settings. Variety is far more important than the number of hours. I shadowed in six different settings. Look at schools that put an emphasis on "grade trend". There are schools that look more heavily at the last 45-60 hours. If a school doesn't offer interviews, take the initiative and schedule a tour. You want to be more than a name on a folder after all:). When you do interview or take a tour, be certain to know a good deal about that particular school and also find out as much about the faculty background as you can before you step foot on the campus. That way you will be able to ask intelligent questions regarding a particular school. Be honest. Be confident. Be yourself, unless you're an idiot then pretend to be someone else LOL. I hope this helps and good luck. You will get there if you fight for it!

Just keep in mind that the average GPA at most schools is consistently going up by several hundreths each year...NAU jumped from ~3.56 for the class of '16 to a 3.71 for the class of '17... :scared: :scared:

Not trying to be negative nancy, just keepin it real...you still have a good chance of getting in if your GPA is within 1 SD of the mean...just assume the mean for the cycle you are applying in is/will be higher than what is posted on the school's website about previous years.