Suggestion for which schools should I apply with 29 MCAT(verbal 6) and 3.8+ sGPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lovereading

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All:
Any suggestion for which schools should I apply with my 29 MCAT(verbal 6) and 3.8+ sGPA and fair amount of ECs?
I'm waiting for new MCAT score (I feel I did better this time for verbal, and I took it multiple times :mad:). But just in case, I would love to know which schools with big MD programs and fairly good chance to get in (hopefully w/o screening for particular section in MCAT score).
I live in PA. Drexel is only one in my list so far.
Any suggestion?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I would suggest investing in the MSAR. It is a wonderful resource for applicants that will tell you much more than any of us on here could. Without more specific information on your cGPA, ECs, and future MCAT score, I can only give you general and nonpersonal advice.

I would suggest applying to the public schools in PA. You're a long shot for Penn, but if it's a dream school for you then I don't see the problem with applying. I'd also apply to a wide range of private schools that are friendly to OOS applicants. If your cGPA is similar to your sGPA, even with a 29 MCAT I think you have a solid chance at MD schools, particularly your in-state schools.

We do need more information than what you've given if you'd like better advice.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi tarheel1408:
Thanks for your quick reply!
My cGPA is also 3.8+. Currently working as a full-time lab tech.
I volunteered in several hospitals in Philadelphia (pre-med volunteer program in Penn, Jefferson etc.)
Include my current job, I have over 3 years research experience. about 8 publication/conference poster presentation/preparing;
about 2.5 years client service (job) experience.

Let me know if you need more info from. I really need some help to put a school list together :)

Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad :)
It looks like you don't have a lot of non-medical volunteering at this juncture. It's not expressly necessary, but if you have some experience serving those less fortunate could help your application. If you're planning on applying during the upcoming cycle, you obviously don't have time to add any before the application. However, if you start soon you may be able to talk about the experience during interviews.

As for specific schools, I would defer to others for more definitive information. A good place to start might be:

Drexel
Jefferson
Penn State
Commonwealth
Temple
Pitt

As for other schools, I'd look at private schools that are friendly to OOS applicants and are in places you might like to live.

For example, if you like the Chicago area you might try Rush, Rosalind Franklin, or perhaps Loyola. If you want to move south, you could try VCU or Wake Forest. Boston University and Tufts are near your current location. I'm not familiar with the NY schools, but there are multiple in that area to which you might consider applying.

I think a VR 6 is lethal for MD programs. Suggest applying only when you get your new score and if that VR improves. Do this even if it means waiting one more year. Applying late = few II, lots of wait lists and rejections.

Hi All:
Any suggestion for which schools should I apply with my 29 MCAT(verbal 6) and 3.8+ sGPA and fair amount of ECs?
I'm waiting for new MCAT score (I feel I did better this time for verbal, and I took it multiple times :mad:). But just in case, I would love to know which schools with big MD programs and fairly good chance to get in (hopefully w/o screening for particular section in MCAT score).
Any suggestion?
Thanks.

Agree with above, a 6 is lethal even though a 29 overall isn't terrible. If you can take a new MCAT within a month then you could still be on track for this year, but otherwise prepare properly and do things right.

Hi All:
Any suggestion?
Thanks.

How many times did you take the MCAT?
Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2

How about you apply DO you would deff get in apply to PCOM, LECOM, NYIT-COM, UNECOM, VCOM (VC)

Nothing wrong with DO and if you dont want to wait a year apply to some MD (drexel, TCMC, penn state hershey, temple, jeff) and those DOs i listed.. if your ECs are great you may get an interview at an MD maybe if everything else is outstanding ... but you will deff get interviews at mostly any DO school.

Hi all:
Thanks for all your suggestions. I just got my new score which I took on 4/11 - 30 (P 11, V 8, B 11). Although 8 didn't satisfy me that much, but I did improve :)
I think I could do better. Maybe take it again?

Hi all:
Thanks for all your suggestions. I just got my new score which I took on 4/11 - 30 (P 11, V 8, B 11). Although 8 didn't satisfy me that much, but I did improve :)
I think I could do better. Maybe take it again?
Don't be goofy.
Come back with your list!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all:
I wasn't sure whether I can claim myself as URMs. I wasn't born here, been in this country for 7 years (I know this shouldn't be an excuse for me to do poorly in VR, but...). Grown up in low income family and bad neighborhood.

Below is my state schools list so far (I live in PA):

Temple
Jefferson
Drexel
Penn State
Commonwealth medical college
Pittsburgh? (maybe too hard...)

working on out state schools.

any comments about my list? any suggestion about out state schools which are friendly to OOS, have big MD programs and I have an chance to get in with my gpa and mcat score?

Thanks.

also I recently started volunteering in homeless shelter...

Hi all:
I wasn't sure whether I can claim myself as URMs. I wasn't born here, been in this country for 7 years (I know this shouldn't be an excuse for me to do poorly in VR, but...). Grown up in low income family and bad neighborhood.
Thanks.
Are you a member of a group that medicine in the US has failed?