Suggestions/Examples of Personal Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Med01

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting to brainstorm personal statement ideas for next year’s appl. as they take some time and a number of revisions.

Would be interested if anyone has thoughts on good personal statements. Does anyone know of examples of good statements (and comments why they were good)? Would be interested if anyone could share their samples and feedback from admissions committee. (and acceptance record).

Particularly interested in hearing from people with non-traditional backgrounds, those with work experience, and lots of different activities.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Med01 said:
Starting to brainstorm personal statement ideas for next year’s appl. as they take some time and a number of revisions.

Would be interested if anyone has thoughts on good personal statements. Does anyone know of examples of good statements (and comments why they were good)? Would be interested if anyone could share their samples and feedback from admissions committee. (and acceptance record).

Particularly interested in hearing from people with non-traditional backgrounds, those with work experience, and lots of different activities.

Thanks.

This is a pretty intricate and broad question to be handled through a forum syuch as this. A pretty good book (w/ a stupid title) that answers exactly the questions you're interested in is "Essays that will get you into Medical School." It's put out by Barrons and I found it very helpful (being a non-trad myself).

I have it and I'm willing to sell it very cheap (minimally more than cost of shipping). It wasn't the right book for me, but it definitely has some good advice if you want to keep it safe. PM me (anybody) if you want it....

Members don't see this ad :)
Just keep it interesting. Everyone wants to "help people" or at least they claim to. They already know that. SHOW them you are genuine and stay away from the boring lame stuff everyone else writes. Tell an interesting story or something that stands out.

0764120298.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg