Suggestions for college courses/major?

lilmiscassie92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting college this fall and I'm not quite sure as to what to major in yet. I know I want to go to medical school and go through the rotations to see what also might interest me. I want to major in psych, but it really isn't a reliable degree to fall back on, which is why I thought about getting a major in Nursing instead even though psych would be more interesting for me. One of the main concerns I have, however, is all the stuff about doctors getting sued alot. I know this is what insurance is for, but how much would your income really be after insurance and upkeep if you wanted to run your own practice, and so on.

Also, I live in Nevada and despite the fact that their education systems are literally at the bottom of the list, I could see myself living here when I get older. I'm enrolled to start at UNLV this fall for my undergrad, but I guess I am worried about how difficult it will be for me to get a job later on, since the school isn't as great as some others around the country.

Any suggestions or advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm starting college this fall and I'm not quite sure as to what to major in yet. I know I want to go to medical school and go through the rotations to see what also might interest me. I want to major in psych, but it really isn't a reliable degree to fall back on, which is why I thought about getting a major in Nursing instead even though psych would be more interesting for me. One of the main concerns I have, however, is all the stuff about doctors getting sued alot. I know this is what insurance is for, but how much would your income really be after insurance and upkeep if you wanted to run your own practice, and so on.

Also, I live in Nevada and despite the fact that their education systems are literally at the bottom of the list, I could see myself living here when I get older. I'm enrolled to start at UNLV this fall for my undergrad, but I guess I am worried about how difficult it will be for me to get a job later on, since the school isn't as great as some others around the country.

Any suggestions or advice?

Chemistry. I've yet to meet an unemployed/starbucks working chem major.

...which is why I thought about getting a major in Nursing instead even though psych would be more interesting for me

I've read quite frequently on this forum that if you intend to go to medical school right after Undergrad, a nursing degree isn't the best way to go. Apparently, there is a nursing shortage, and to use a nursing degree to try to get into medical school right after UG would make people think "why does this person want to be a doctor if he/she already has their nursing degree?" Basically, it's not really favorable. If psych interests you, DO IT. You'll be great at it, and adcoms won't question you about why you are abandoning nursing so shortly after you've graduated with a degree in it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've read quite frequently on this forum that if you intend to go to medical school right after Undergrad, a nursing degree isn't the best way to go. Apparently, there is a nursing shortage, and to use a nursing degree to try to get into medical school right after UG would make people think "why does this person want to be a doctor if he/she already has their nursing degree?" Basically, it's not really favorable. If psych interests you, DO IT. You'll be great at it, and adcoms won't question you about why you are abandoning nursing so shortly after you've graduated with a degree in it.

^ I've heard this as well. Do what interests you. You learn the things the interest you easily (which translates to a higher GPA and better chances at medical school with all the other prerequisite goodies.)

Now if I majored in psych, would I be able to meet the premed requirements? I mean there aren't that many science and math requirments for a psych major, don't I need calculus as well?

I've thought about a chem or bio major but psych would be alot more interesting IMO. I'm just worried I wouldn't get all the requirments in with this degree.

Now if I majored in psych, would I be able to meet the premed requirements? I mean there aren't that many science and math requirments for a psych major, don't I need calculus as well?

I've thought about a chem or bio major but psych would be alot more interesting IMO. I'm just worried I wouldn't get all the requirments in with this degree.

That depends on the school's curriculum, If you major in psych you can always minor in some life science and take care of the prereqs.

That depends on the school's curriculum, If you major in psych you can always minor in some life science and take care of the prereqs.

What are some of the prereqs that you'll need to apply? Besides organic chem bio, inorganic chem, calculus, statistics, physics?

What are some of the prereqs that you'll need to apply? Besides organic chem bio, inorganic chem, calculus, statistics, physics?
That's about all they require, but additionally some require more you'll have to check with medical school's website. for example I know that Johns hopkins require 26 social science credits so psych major would be plus there.

Psych students at my college had to take calc and statistics... it varies by school. You can always take pre-professional courses along with your normal degree; you could get a degree in history, if you wanted.

I chose my major based on what I would like to do if I couldn't get into med school for some reason. For example, I find English really easy, but would never want to go into it as a career--biology, on the other hand, is more work in a field that I would have been comfortable with (hence I majored in biology). If you wouldn't mind going into psych if you had to, and if you find it interesting, then by all means go for it. :) This is the same for any other field you find interesting. Just get good grades, good EC's, and a good MCAT. That's what matters.

Psych is a good compliment to the pre-professional courses too. It requires a different type of thinking and it is really interesting. :)

Majoring in something you like to do seems like a good idea but what happens if you cant make into med school. The major you picked you cant get a job in.

Majoring in something you like to do seems like a good idea but what happens if you cant make into med school. The major you picked you cant get a job in.

Well there's always the possibility of becoming a therapist. I'm thinking of either becoming a psychiatrist or psychologist. Ideally I've always thought about spending time with patients rather than prescribing Meds and the fact that alot of doctors get sued makes me somewhat nervous so I have been thinking about becoming a therapist. But do therapist have the potential to make as much income as a psychiatrist if they spend alot of hours at their practice? I would assume it would be somewhat close especially if you consider malpractice insurance psychiatrists also have to pay. Can psychiatrisats become therapists?