suggestions for M3 lectures?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

timbuktu

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm supposed to give 3 lectures/discussions (20-30min each) to our M3s during their IM rotation; naturally, i got assigned "useful MICU topics"

i figured i'd give one on empiric antibiotics/surviving sepsis since those are Step 2 material.

other ideas that would be high-yield for the med students? i'm pretty awful at acid-base and i don't remember vents/pressors being covered very much on the shelf/Step 2 (unless that's changed)

Members don't see this ad.

sepsis
GI bleed
alcohol withdrawal
vent management
how to run a code

Members don't see this ad :)
Are your M3s in the ICU at all or mainly on the floors? I know I'd have appreciated a basic crash course in "stuff attached to my patient" - various lines, drains, chest tubes, Foley, maybe even trach tubes and ostomy bags. Nothing too complicated, but especially this early in the year, I know there are definitely students wondering, "What is this for? Why is it in my patient? Can I move it if need be? How do I know if it's working correctly?"

Maybe not the most high yield for testing purposes, but I think feeling comfortable and not intimidated by a patent's accessories will be helpful nonetheless.