-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Suggestions for Mom
Started by momala
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
an otoscope/opthalmoscope set? a hot date? A keg of his favorite beer? these would be things that'd i'd like to have under my tree.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you can afford about $140, get him a Littman Cardiology III stethoscope in basic black.
Originally posted by BlueFalcon
If you can afford about $140, get him a Littman Cardiology III stethoscope in basic black.
excellent suggestion (personally, i like blue, but that's just me). you might want to hold off on any other exam-type gifts b/c his school will most likely have a sale on instruments early in his first semester where he can get exactly what his school is requiring for much less money than instruments normally retail for. but a stethoscope is always nice to have. 🙂
other things-- a new bookbag. my school require all first-years to have a new laptop, and my parents got a new bookbag for me that has a computer compartment. i absolutely love it-- so much nicer than hauling around a bookbag and a computer bag all the time. also, a coffee pot if he doesn't have one and likes coffee. if he likes to read, invest in some books on tape/cd. i don't have time to read, but i get my books in 10-minute installments when i drive to and from school!
i'll post others if i think of them.
Originally posted by momala
Thanks guys. Keep them coming!
Where do I get a stethoscope???
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76443
You see, mom, picking a stethoscope is really hard for a med student...so surprise him, and then when people hassle him about why he got this rather than that one, he can be like, "actually, it was a gift from my mom, b/c she loves me" 😍

Some of this coffee.... he'll need plenty of it! Nice stocking stuffer
www.cafedumonde.com
The regular with chicory is the best... yellow bag!
www.cafedumonde.com
The regular with chicory is the best... yellow bag!
My boyfriend just gave me the Littman Cardiology III for Christmas...with my name on it. Very sweet present 🙂
He said he got a very good deal on it at www.allheart.com
I asked my parents for a new laptop bag. They have a ton of options at www.computerbags.com
So, yeah, no new ideas, but maybe a better direction to lead you in!
Good luck!
He said he got a very good deal on it at www.allheart.com
I asked my parents for a new laptop bag. They have a ton of options at www.computerbags.com
So, yeah, no new ideas, but maybe a better direction to lead you in!
Good luck!
Amy B
I miss my son so much
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Originally posted by drlexygoat
Some of this coffee.... he'll need plenty of it! Nice stocking stuffer
www.cafedumonde.com
The regular with chicory is the best... yellow bag!
Oh cool, I saw this on great food finds on the food channel.
Mom, I think it is great you are looking for a great gift and even going to the trouble of internet searching. I wish my parents showed as much interest in me and my first year starting next fall.
Gift certificates to book stores are always great. Here's a thought though, Does his medical school have a bookstore? They usually have shirts, cups, jackets, lots of things for gift ideas.
Originally posted by BlueFalcon
If you can afford about $140, get him a Littman Cardiology III stethoscope in basic black.
I think that's a great idea. Really make you feel like you've made it! 😀
What a great mom!! And great suggestions all around.
I would say anything with a caduceus on it - that, too, will make him feel like he has arrived.
Here's a page on e-bay, in case you can't find anything local:
http://search.ebay.com/search/searc...&ht=1&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&query=caduceus
I would say anything with a caduceus on it - that, too, will make him feel like he has arrived.
Here's a page on e-bay, in case you can't find anything local:
http://search.ebay.com/search/searc...&ht=1&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&query=caduceus
Netters!!! The anatomy bible.
you are very cool mom....
littman sounds awesome...
i wouldnt mind some of the hooded sweaters from the school...that would be awesome.
and maybe anything of sentimental value if he is going to be somewhat far away and wont be able to visit home. something to remind him of you and the people that love him most...
littman sounds awesome...
i wouldnt mind some of the hooded sweaters from the school...that would be awesome.
and maybe anything of sentimental value if he is going to be somewhat far away and wont be able to visit home. something to remind him of you and the people that love him most...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Originally posted by nuclearrabbit77
an otoscope/opthalmoscope set?
Does anyone have any suggestions on where to buy this? I've been looking for one (for my husband, who is a doc and there fore knows how to use one) but haven't had too much luck. What do they usually run? I've tried a few local medical supply stores, but they only had one or the other, not a set.
wow, that's super sweet of you to log onto SDN to find your medschoolbound son a X-mas gift!!! 🙂 You must be an awesome and supportive mom in general! I wish my mom cared so much!
Suggestion: My best friend got me a Louisiana guide book when she found out I got into Tulane. Maybe you could find something that he'll find useful in whichever city or state he's off to.
Suggestion: My best friend got me a Louisiana guide book when she found out I got into Tulane. Maybe you could find something that he'll find useful in whichever city or state he's off to.
You guys made me cry!
Every Mom loves being told she's a good mom!
Ordered the Littman, will be here Tuesday. I'd love to have the name put on it. How'd he do that?
I'd like to get the dictionary, too. All my buying is being done online this year (surgery), does anyone have online source suggestions for it?
You all will be successful rich happy healers. I see it in your futures.
thanks again
Every Mom loves being told she's a good mom!
Ordered the Littman, will be here Tuesday. I'd love to have the name put on it. How'd he do that?
I'd like to get the dictionary, too. All my buying is being done online this year (surgery), does anyone have online source suggestions for it?
You all will be successful rich happy healers. I see it in your futures.
thanks again
Originally posted by ms. a
Does anyone have any suggestions on where to buy this? I've been looking for one (for my husband, who is a doc and there fore knows how to use one) but haven't had too much luck. What do they usually run? I've tried a few local medical supply stores, but they only had one or the other, not a set.
Here ya go.
Diagnostic Sets from Welch Allyn
Originally posted by momala
I'd like to get the dictionary, too. All my buying is being done online this year (surgery), does anyone have online source suggestions for it?
Yay for Amazon!! All my shopping is online this year, too (finals).
Stedman's Dictionary
Ohhhh...I just thought of something else. Is there anything that he'd like to have that for a leisure activity that a med student normally wouldn't buy? I'm not phrasing that right. Here's what I mean...I love to cook, and I lived at home between college and med school, so I always cooked using my mom's equipment, and, being a poor student, I just don't have fun kitchen things now. So mom periodically gives me something little for my kitchen that I wouldn't buy myself-- pretty mixing bowls, a new knife set, I'm getting a slow-cooker for my birthday...things that are fun, aren't big (except the slow-cooker), and that let me know that she's thinking of me AND remind me of my old life outside of med school.
Your turn to help-- what should I get my Mom for Christmas??? 🙂
Your turn to help-- what should I get my Mom for Christmas??? 🙂
If his school requires a microscope, and if you can afford it, this is what I'd recommend. A thing to consider about the stethoscope issue: a friend of mine who just started last fall got 4 stethoscopes from different people over a period of time; her advisor, her father, her school, ect...
Great post!
Don't spend money on an oto/opthalmoscope-- students either don't need them or can get them cheap from 4th years who want to sell theirs.
Gift certificates to Barnes and Noble would be great-- I bought a ton of my books from there (cheaper than the bookstore) and I would have appreciated spending less than I did.
When the stethoscope comes, open it up and take out the name plate form and send away for it.
Stedman's and Netter both come for free if you join certain professional organizations (AMA and AMSA respectively).
And I know these aren't med student specific, but gas cards, phone cards, etc. are great (if he doesn't plan on getting a cell phone).
Good luck!
Don't spend money on an oto/opthalmoscope-- students either don't need them or can get them cheap from 4th years who want to sell theirs.
Gift certificates to Barnes and Noble would be great-- I bought a ton of my books from there (cheaper than the bookstore) and I would have appreciated spending less than I did.
When the stethoscope comes, open it up and take out the name plate form and send away for it.
Stedman's and Netter both come for free if you join certain professional organizations (AMA and AMSA respectively).
And I know these aren't med student specific, but gas cards, phone cards, etc. are great (if he doesn't plan on getting a cell phone).
Good luck!
If you are looking for a stocking stuffer:
www.giantmicrobes.com Stuffed animals of various microbes like Ebola and the Common Cold ~$6.00
Penlight or Reflex hammer
Maps and Travel guide for the area he will be attending school in
eBay has lots of interesting old medical items under Antiques Science and Medicine
The stethoscope will be great and having it engraved is a nice touch. Don't worry about buying a microscope. They are very expensive and he will be able to rent one at school.
Have a nice holiday!
Deirdre
www.giantmicrobes.com Stuffed animals of various microbes like Ebola and the Common Cold ~$6.00
Penlight or Reflex hammer
Maps and Travel guide for the area he will be attending school in
eBay has lots of interesting old medical items under Antiques Science and Medicine
The stethoscope will be great and having it engraved is a nice touch. Don't worry about buying a microscope. They are very expensive and he will be able to rent one at school.
Have a nice holiday!
Deirdre
Sweet Tea, I'd be surprised if any other mom would want the things I'd like for Xmas, maybe the car
1. portable cement mixer
2. marble or smalti tesserae
3. John Deere Gator or similiar
4. BMW 2 seater convertible
5. permission to use power tools again
Actually the best gifts I've gotten recently are
1. Good books
2. anything made with my favorite perfume
3. My espresso machine
1. portable cement mixer
2. marble or smalti tesserae
3. John Deere Gator or similiar
4. BMW 2 seater convertible
5. permission to use power tools again
Actually the best gifts I've gotten recently are
1. Good books
2. anything made with my favorite perfume
3. My espresso machine
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 849
- Replies
- 10
- Views
- 1K
D
- Replies
- 3
- Views
- 579