Jan 27, 2010
Status
Hi everyone,

I'm starting to consider applying to the next cycle, just in case things don't work out!

I have my undergrad degree - B.Sc in Kinesiology & Biology. My science GPA is 3.79 and nonscience 3.41, cGPA is 3.72.
I wrote the CDN DAT with total science of 20 and PAT 20, my carving score was pretty crap, although most U.S. schools don't seem to care.

I did have two interviews this year at BU and NYU, I'm waiting to hear back. BU seems a bit unlikely, but we'll see! My interviews were later in the cycle (Feb, March) and that definitely has to do with my DAT scores being sent in Jan, since it was held in November 2009; I did apply in June however.

I'm not entirely sure what to do for next year - I have missed deadlines for Masters programs, and to be frank I'm not entirely interested in doing one just for the sake of it. I'm considering to do a certificate program in Clinical research, since I do not have any research experience. As well, I'm hoping to find a volunteer position associating dental care with disabled children.

Do you have any further suggestions? I really want to get into dentistry! Hopefully I won't have to go through with this and just get accepted already lol

Thanks, I appreciate your help!

Tiankum

7+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2010
Status
Dentist
Hi everyone,

I'm starting to consider applying to the next cycle, just in case things don't work out!

I have my undergrad degree - B.Sc in Kinesiology & Biology. My science GPA is 3.79 and nonscience 3.41, cGPA is 3.72.
I wrote the CDN DAT with total science of 20 and PAT 20, my carving score was pretty crap, although most U.S. schools don't seem to care.

I did have two interviews this year at BU and NYU, I'm waiting to hear back. BU seems a bit unlikely, but we'll see! My interviews were later in the cycle (Feb, March) and that definitely has to do with my DAT scores being sent in Jan, since it was held in November 2009; I did apply in June however.

I'm not entirely sure what to do for next year - I have missed deadlines for Masters programs, and to be frank I'm not entirely interested in doing one just for the sake of it. I'm considering to do a certificate program in Clinical research, since I do not have any research experience. As well, I'm hoping to find a volunteer position associating dental care with disabled children.

Do you have any further suggestions? I really want to get into dentistry! Hopefully I won't have to go through with this and just get accepted already lol

Thanks, I appreciate your help!
To be completely honest. Your GPA is great in both areas... but to get into a US dental school it will be far more likely for that to happen if you take the US DAT. I would recommend studying for the US DAT now and take it in a few months...you could have the scores sent to the schools you applied to and also have it ready to reapply on June 3rd. If you do that, you WILL get in next year.

Mar 21, 2010
Status
Send both application and DAT before August and you will be fine.
Sending after August is almost automatic rejection(although this is not completely true, you are reducing your chance super dramatically...I mean super!!!)