Suggestions on Potential School List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mufasha

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen quite a few posts like this already, but I'm hoping to get some feedback on my school list. I have not yet taken my DAT (scheduled for early July) and while I understand it's difficult to generate a realistic list without a score, I need submit a list to my pre-health committee. I'm trying to make it as accurate as possible because I need to pay per school for the committee letter.

My oGPA is 3.58 and my sGPA is 3.41 (this includes 1 year of informal post-bacc). I have taken all of the standard prereqs with the exception of Mirco. I've got volunteer-based ECs from college, a strong leadership position, clinical research experience, and I have the shadowing hours covered (I've been a dental assistant part-time for about 10 months). As for my DAT, I think I'll do well, but you never know for sure.

Given that I won't have my DAT score before I submit my school list (both to ADEA and my pre-health committee), I want the list to be fairly broad. I'd like to apply to around 20 schools and though I'd obviously pick the cheaper option if given a choice, the price tag isn't a huge factor in making the list. I've looked over the stats (both on academics and OOS %) in the 2014 ADEA guide several times and I'm having a hard time finalizing this list. I know without a DAT score it might be silly to ask, but any suggestions on additions, deletions, or swaps would be greatly appreciated!

Strongly Considering Applying To:

Boston University
Case Western
Columbia University
LECOM
Maryland
Midwestern - AZ
Midwestern - IL
NOVA
NYU
Rutgers (in-state)
Temple
Tufts
University of Southern California
University of the Pacific
Western University

On the Fence About…

New England, Pitt, VCU, UNC, UCSF, Stony Brook, Detroit Mercy, UPenn, Las Vegas, Creighton, UCSF, A.T. Still (both), Colorado, UConn, Michigan, Marquette, Buffalo

Members don't see this ad.

I think your list is pretty solid but I will make some recommendations based on experience. As a Florida resident, any of the California schools I applied to, whether public or private, never got back to me after submitting secondaries (UCSF rejected). In general, both LECOM and Maryland tend to favor higher GPA's... Also, I want to warn you that UNC and Michigan are very out-of-state unfriendly; on the flip side, BU and Case are generally out-of-state friendly. Those are my overall thoughts and take what you will. I hope that others chime in to give you their opinions/perspectives so you can make a better informed decision. I would recommend reevaluating the list once you obtain your DAT scores. It's a good start!