Suggestions on recanting acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NickoT

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious as to how people are recanting acceptances. I find it really hard to do since I really liked the school I accepted and the faculty that I met there...of course I didn't know at the time that I would eventually get accepted at a school I preferred more.

Are you calling, writing, emailing? Are you giving specifics as to why you've changed your mind or just being general?

Members don't see this ad.

hmm... i just said that i really liked their school and thank them very much for their time and for considering me, but that i have chosen to attend a different school in the fall. I'm sure they hear it all the time.

i wrote personal letters to the admissions dean, the committee and to my interviewers. I spoke with dentists and a dental school professor on how to word them. The chances of them remembering the name later in life are very questionable, but you never know when you need them down the road...

Members don't see this ad :)
be honest...as you know admissions personal talk...just as was stated above...thank them for their time and let them know you'll be attending school elsewhere. do this ASAP because someone on the waitlist will very thankful. this keeps it professional and if you ever want to go into a specialty that they just happen to have, you won't be leaving a bad impression.

This is what I wrote to CASE:

I am writing to decline admission and offer my position to another deserving candidate to class of 2009. Thank you for giving me this opportunity. Have a great day!

I actually did it three different ways: by mail to Columbia (they have a form to fill out with "I regretfully decline...HERE'S WHY" :D; I just wrote that I had already accepted a cheaper school, but was overwhelmed with the honor of being thought worthy to attend their prestigious institution, etc.), by email to Maryland, and email and phone to Stony. Just be really polite and include the words "regret" and "honor" and "thanks". :D

tzips,

where are you planning to attend?

QUOTE=Tzips]I actually did it three different ways: by mail to Columbia (they have a form to fill out with "I regretfully decline...HERE'S WHY" :D; I just wrote that I had already accepted a cheaper school, but was overwhelmed with the honor of being thought worthy to attend their prestigious institution, etc.), by email to Maryland, and email and phone to Stony. Just be really polite and include the words "regret" and "honor" and "thanks". :D[/QUOTE]

Firstly, I want to thank everyone for the helpful advice, it will definitely come in handy this week.

However...I think maybe I was a bit misunderstood. When I said recanting, I meant at a school in which I have already submitted a deposit. The situation seems a little more delicate, but I am sure I am not the only one to do this.