Suggestions on where to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xatlasb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was hoping to get a good idea of how many schools I should apply to and where. I of course want a good chance of being accepted, but at the same time I'd like to be cost-efficient. Ideas?

Here are my stats:

GPA: 3.4 overall, 3.3 science, 3.2 BCP, all with upward trend, and at UCLA.
DAT: 23 AA, 24 TS, 21 PAT, 24 RC, 20 RC
EC: Lots of extra curriculars, including sports, RA, research (writing a thesis and scholarship for it), work, pre-dental club, other clubs, etc.
Shadowing: 50+ hours

I'm really hoping for schools that overlook lower GPA and focus on DAT? From what I know, Columbia and UoP?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd apply to no less than 10 schools.

Definitely throw UOP in your list. They love high DAT scores and don't mind a slightly lower GPA. Most places like GPA of 3.5 and above, but I see a lot of people getting into UOP with 3.3 and 3.4s and very high DATs like yours. You can

I made this thread a couple weeks ago detailing the schools to which I am applying. Check out the attached spreadsheet for school-specific stats. What is your residency? Always apply to your state schools, if you have them.

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you think chances are with Columbia? I have a strong preference to be in NY due to a loved one being there as well.

I am a CA resident.

What do you think chances are with Columbia? I have a strong preference to be in NY due to a loved one being there as well.

I am a CA resident.
Very very slim. You should really have a much higher GPA to have a shot with Columbia.

Very very slim. You should really have a much higher GPA to have a shot with Columbia.
I have a lot of research experience and other extra-curriculars, and am coming from UCLA, would that make any difference?

I got the 2013 ADEA guide and went through schools. Here's what I've narrowed down. Suggestions/thoughts/opinions?

NYU
Columbia
UCLA
UCSF
UoP
Midwestern (Illinois)
University of Penn
University of Connecticut
Howard University
Tufts
Creighton

Any reason why you chose Midwestern (IL) and not Midwestern AZ?

Any reason why you chose Midwestern (IL) and not Midwestern AZ?
According to ADEA, easier to get into in terms of GPA. And I would prefer being in Midwest than Arizona.

I have a lot of research experience and other extra-curriculars, and am coming from UCLA, would that make any difference?

I got the 2013 ADEA guide and went through schools. Here's what I've narrowed down. Suggestions/thoughts/opinions?

NYU
Columbia
UCLA
UCSF
UoP
Midwestern (Illinois)
University of Penn
University of Connecticut
Howard University
Tufts
Creighton
Unfortunately, not really. It wouldn't be a huge advantage to your application. Remember, it doesn't hurt to come from a great school, but don't rely on its reputation to get you an "edge up" against other apps with nearly identical stats from other large and reputable schools. And I assure you, there are a lot of applicants with identical scores as you.

UConn is tough to get in. It's a state school. A lot of students have stats just like yours and still got rejected from Columbia. You could try Marquette and Minnesota.