Suggestions :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cyn0612

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here are my scores for the Jan PCAT.

Verbal 63
Biology 75
Reading 19
Chemistry 91
Quant 91

Composite 76

I am a 3rd year chemistry major and am expecting to graduate with a chemistry degree next year. I am also actively involved in 3 national health and science societies. I have a 3.93 GPA. I do have a year of on campus job experience and a year of research experience. Also, I think that my chemistry professors can write some decent recommendation letters.

This was my first time taking the PCAT and I only spent about 20 days during the christmas break studying for just the biology and chemistry sections. I am thrilled to see that I made a 91% on the Quant sec since I did not have to take any math courses in college and the last math course I took was AP calculus back in 3 years ago.

My question is that would the reading score (19th percentile) hurt my application if I want to apply to a highly ranked pharmacy school? Or if I have no chance of getting into those schools with such a low score in this particular section?

Also would you guys suggest me retaking it this summer?
By the way, English is my second language and I can tell you that I barely ever finished any books for just leisure reading since there were always too many textbooks to read for my science courses.

Please let me know of any better ways to prepare for the reading section. (with specific details). Thank you guys and I appreciate your time :love:

Members don't see this ad.

I think 76 is good enough. If you have a good GPA, together it will be strong to get in. You could retake it to improve, but you can apply with a 76.

You think it will work for top 15 of the ranked school? I would tell him truthfully during the interview that I don't have a good reading skill and used the wrong strategy for the section. By the way, do you know if there are many schools that would require a minimum percentile score in each of the 5 sections? Thanks

It really varies by school. The schools that I'm looking at require at least a 50 in each subsection of the PCAT. If you want to go to a "Top 15" school, I'd be seriously worried about my chances with a subsection below 20.

Members don't see this ad :)
You think it will work for top 15 of the ranked school? I would tell him truthfully during the interview that I don't have a good reading skill and used the wrong strategy for the section. By the way, do you know if there are many schools that would require a minimum percentile score in each of the 5 sections? Thanks

Most highly competitive schools have minimum sub-section policy.

Check the school webpages where you want to go and Check whether they have minimum score policy.

If they do, send them an e-mail or call them to ask they have any waiver of minimum sub-section policy if you have good grade in English or others.

But it is better to take again if you think you can improve it.
It is possible to get better.

But it is better to take again if you think you can improve it.
It is possible to get better.

Thank you so much guys!
That't going to be my plan for this summer. I am taking all upper level chemistry and biology courses this semester, so I never have time to read....
I will try to work on that once school's out and take the PCAT again in August :)

It really varies by school. The schools that I'm looking at require at least a 50 in each subsection of the PCAT. If you want to go to a "Top 15" school, I'd be seriously worried about my chances with a subsection below 20.

That's really something I was worried about. But I think that I can at least score 10 or 15 points higher than this hehe.
I did not spend anytime preparing for this section nor the verbal section since I only had 3 weeks to study for the entire exam.
I will try to make it work this summer.
Thanks.