Suicide and Mercury

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ScottW3

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I heard an interesting theory the other day about possible causes of the dentist-suicide connection (if you believe there is one). The theory is that the mecury exposure from filling materials caused emotional/psychological issues leading to an increased suicide rate. Anyone have any comments on this?

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm, good idea. How about we combine the two biggest misconceptions surrounding dentistry and talk about it?

This is what I want. I'll take the sarcasm, but explain as well please.

Members don't see this ad :)
ScottW3 said:
Hi everyone, I heard an interesting theory the other day about possible causes of the dentist-suicide connection (if you believe there is one). The theory is that the mecury exposure from filling materials caused emotional/psychological issues leading to an increased suicide rate. Anyone have any comments on this?

If a certain godfather of amalgam/mercury research, Dr. Rosnenblum at my institution ever heard this theory, he would start flipping $hi!. The Mercury intake when doing amalgams is so low (even over the years) that it can barely have any impact on the mental health of a dentist.

A person can have more mercury intake by eating seafood, and as far as I know, there are no recent cases of seafood- mercury injestion related psychological disorders.

I will try and find the Mercury exposure concentrations which can further shed light on this matter.

Sounds like someone needs a new tinfoil hat:

cat.tinfoil.hat.jpg

ScottW3 said:
Hi everyone, I heard an interesting theory the other day about possible causes of the dentist-suicide connection

The dentist-suicide connection isn't any more of a connection than is the human-suicide connection. In short, it doesn't exist and there is no data to prove that it does.

ScottW3 said:
i believe the suicide is stress related. otherwise, how can you explain the high suicide rate for other health professionals?

Thanks everyone, I wanted to hear feedback on this, and you have given it to me. The person that told me this is a physician in California. I'll ask him to show me the proof of his claims. It doesn't seem like there is any. Thanks