Suicide and nursing to MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shandom

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, long story but I promise I will do my best to be concise.
I graduated high school in the top 5% with a 4.23 GPA. I was accepted to a U of I and a 6 year med school in a European country. I went with the med school, of course. I started out great, doing well in all my classes but at the start of my 2nd semester my abusive family started to get to me. Even with 6000 miles between us, I was verbally tormented for 5 months and shortly before my anatomy final I attempted suicide. After being hospitalized I was sent home and got worse. I eventually got out and started with thousands of dollars of student debt on my own with no work experience. After two years of working minimum wage jobs I finally have enough to start the only career where you progressively earn more money with every 2 years of education, nursing. I currently work as a unit clerk and will have my ASN shortly from a community college. Then I will get my BSN. So far all my grades are stellar, all A’s. I haven’t been this healthy all my life and now I think that the dream my parents told me was pointless could be achieved. I always wanted to be a doctor, and until I relapsed, med school was the toughest and best thing that ever happened to me. The finals I took, I passed, but I missed three. I passed medical chemistry, parasitology, histology and embryology, and Latin. I never had the chance to take anatomy, philosophy, and biophysics.
So, my questions are:
1. With this history, do I have a chance? I know I will keep my 4.0 but it is community college and then a BSN, so it isn’t a 4-year university.
2. How do I bring this up in an application? Will I need to provide the grades or with the med school be able to get them by contacting the school overseas?
3. I want to meet with a pre-med advisor but I am not enrolled in a 4-year university. Where else can I meet one?
Thank you all. I appreciate any and all advice! And sorry if some of these questions were answered elsewhere on this site.

Members don't see this ad.

1. Are you trying to go to med school in the US?

If so, you will need to have completed the needed pre-reqs and take the MCAT. Sorry but your previous medical school isnt going to transfer from a foreign country. You will need to get your pre-reqs and mcat like everyone else. Second thing is what is your current citizenship status? This is a big deal.

Sorry to hear about your previous problems, but that will not affect your application and its not something you need to bring up (its your personal health information). Also for US med schools the high school GPA is meaning-less.

Edit: Also wanted to add, not all pre-med advisers are created equal. You can probably get better advice here with the search function.

Good Luck.

I graduated high school in the top 5% with a 4.23 GPA. I was accepted to a U of I and a 6 year med school in a European country. I went with the med school, of course. I started out great, doing well in all my classes but at the start of my 2nd semester my abusive family started to get to me. Even with 6000 miles between us, I was verbally tormented for 5 months and shortly before my anatomy final I attempted suicide. After being hospitalized I was sent home and got worse. I eventually got out and started with thousands of dollars of student debt on my own with no work experience. After two years of working minimum wage jobs I finally have enough to start the only career where you progressively earn more money with every 2 years of education, nursing. I currently work as a unit clerk and will have my ASN shortly from a community college. Then I will get my BSN. So far all my grades are stellar, all A's. I haven't been this healthy all my life and now I think that the dream my parents told me was pointless could be achieved. I always wanted to be a doctor, and until I relapsed, med school was the toughest and best thing that ever happened to me. The finals I took, I passed, but I missed three. I passed medical chemistry, parasitology, histology and embryology, and Latin. I never had the chance to take anatomy, philosophy, and biophysics.
So, my questions are:
1. With this history, do I have a chance? I know I will keep my 4.0 but it is community college and then a BSN, so it isn't a 4-year university.
2. How do I bring this up in an application? Will I need to provide the grades or with the med school be able to get them by contacting the school overseas?
3. I want to meet with a pre-med advisor but I am not enrolled in a 4-year university. Where else can I meet one?
Thank you all. I appreciate any and all advice! And sorry if some of these questions were answered elsewhere on this site.

Last edited:
I graduated high school in the top 5% with a 4.23 GPA. I was accepted to a U of I and a 6 year med school in a European country. I went with the med school, of course. I started out great, doing well in all my classes but at the start of my 2nd semester my abusive family started to get to me. Even with 6000 miles between us, I was verbally tormented for 5 months and shortly before my anatomy final I attempted suicide. After being hospitalized I was sent home and got worse. I eventually got out and started with thousands of dollars of student debt on my own with no work experience. After two years of working minimum wage jobs I finally have enough to start the only career where you progressively earn more money with every 2 years of education, nursing. I currently work as a unit clerk and will have my ASN shortly from a community college. Then I will get my BSN. So far all my grades are stellar, all A’s. I haven’t been this healthy all my life and now I think that the dream my parents told me was pointless could be achieved. I always wanted to be a doctor, and until I relapsed, med school was the toughest and best thing that ever happened to me. The finals I took, I passed, but I missed three. I passed medical chemistry, parasitology, histology and embryology, and Latin. I never had the chance to take anatomy, philosophy, and biophysics.
So, my questions are:
1. With this history, do I have a chance? I know I will keep my 4.0 but it is community college and then a BSN, so it isn’t a 4-year university.

Quite a story! I am only a pre-pre med, but from what I have read you need to take the prerequisites at a university; they do not accept pre-req's from CC's. Correct me if I'm wrong pre meds, but I think your going to have to take out more loans, transfer to a university, take the pre req's, continue volunteering or if you can manage, nursing, and take the MCAT. Not to mention you'd probably have to fit in a LARGE portion of your time to studying for the MCAT as you will probably be competing with me. Jk jk, but seriously you will be competing with smart pre meds. Now to answer your questions.

1. There is always a chance and there really is no huge rush to get into medical school. Nurses that have been practicing for 10+ years can and do get accepted into medical school.

2. Your past is much more interesting than 90% of the pre meds that apply each cycle. Just show your perseverance and ability to recover from your past. As far as your European med school grades, I really have no clue on how that all works. I do know that med schools really would only care about your pre req grades and your undergrad GPA, MCAT, and experience, which you will have plenty of.

3. Still in high school so don't know about pre med advisors; however, I don't think it would be crazy to contact one for a quick chat at a potential transfer university.

Hope that helped!

Members don't see this ad :)
Quite a story! I am only a pre-pre med, but from what I have read you need to take the prerequisites at a university; they do not accept pre-req's from CC's. Correct me if I'm wrong pre meds, but I think your going to have to take out more loans, transfer to a university, take the pre req's, continue volunteering or if you can manage, nursing, and take the MCAT. Not to mention you'd probably have to fit in a LARGE portion of your time to studying for the MCAT as you will probably be competing with me. Jk jk, but seriously you will be competing with smart pre meds. Now to answer your questions.

1. There is always a chance and there really is no huge rush to get into medical school. Nurses that have been practicing for 10+ years can and do get accepted into medical school.

2. Your past is much more interesting than 90% of the pre meds that apply each cycle. Just show your perseverance and ability to recover from your past. As far as your European med school grades, I really have no clue on how that all works. I do know that med schools really would only care about your pre req grades and your undergrad GPA, MCAT, and experience, which you will have plenty of.

3. Still in high school so don't know about pre med advisors; however, I don't think it would be crazy to contact one for a quick chat at a potential transfer university.

Hope that helped!

Many schools do accept pre-reqs from community college. There is, however, a belief that it is looked down upon since CCs are seen as less rigorous than university classes. Whether this is true or not is beyond be.

You have a very compelling and unique story that really shows you know what you're getting into. Tell med schools what you think you did wrong the first time and what you learned.

Out of curiosity, why did you decide to apply to a European medical school if you're (presumably) an American citizen?

So, my questions are:

This honestly might be the most UNIQUE case I have seen on here. It really matters on where your residency and how you can apply this to why you want to become a doctor when you reach the interview stage. You have some work left undergraduate wise to meet the requirements, as there is no way to skip those. And also to taking the MCAT. Out of curiosity, what school did you got to for medical school and how did you fall into europe out of highschool.

To link2swim06- I am trying to go to med school in the US. I know I will have to take the pre-reqs and the MCAT. I also had little hope that my grades from my former school will be of help to me. Even if they did transfer, I wouldn’t have done so in hopes of getting more experience for the Step 1. Thank you!
To ISUBird100- Since the consensus is not very strong in either direction, would you recommend contacting the schools on my list to see what they prefer? And do you know which method of communications a medical school would prefer I use? (phone, email, letter, etc.)Thank you as well!
To mejorization- I decided to apply to a European medical school because it was in my family’s home country. Also, it was cheaper and I wouldn’t have had to take gen-eds. I am a Polish citizen as well as American and the school was wonderful. If I could, I would go back but I don’t have enough for a plane ticket. Thank you for your advice!
To Warick22- I went to a school in Poland. If you want to private message me I will be happy to tell you which one exactly. I am a little paranoid my family will be able to find me if I post too much information on this site. And Europe was just the perfect fit for me at that time. I was able to study and stay away from my parents. Thank you for your kind words!

To link2swim06- I am trying to go to med school in the US. I know I will have to take the pre-reqs and the MCAT. I also had little hope that my grades from my former school will be of help to me. Even if they did transfer, I wouldn’t have done so in hopes of getting more experience for the Step 1. Thank you!
To ISUBird100- Since the consensus is not very strong in either direction, would you recommend contacting the schools on my list to see what they prefer? And do you know which method of communications a medical school would prefer I use? (phone, email, letter, etc.)Thank you as well!
To mejorization- I decided to apply to a European medical school because it was in my family’s home country. Also, it was cheaper and I wouldn’t have had to take gen-eds. I am a Polish citizen as well as American and the school was wonderful. If I could, I would go back but I don’t have enough for a plane ticket. Thank you for your advice!
To Warick22- I went to a school in Poland. If you want to private message me I will be happy to tell you which one exactly. I am a little paranoid my family will be able to find me if I post too much information on this site. And Europe was just the perfect fit for me at that time. I was able to study and stay away from my parents. Thank you for your kind words!

Yes, I would contact them to make sure. I would recommend calling the schools and talking to someone over the phone. It would probably more effecient that way. Just my opinion, though. Best of luck to you!

If you liked it there, why don't you go back to the same school? The plane ticket to Poland is less than tuition for your BSN, MCAT prep, and the US application process added together... FAR less.

I am looking for advice. Sorry if I sound like a Lifetime Original Movie. And sir, I may be many different things, but Troll, I am not.

My advice for you is to first make sure you have enough money or funding for whatever it is you want to do.