Suicide matching

Started by Bubba888
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Bubba888

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with suicide matching. For family reasons I have a very specific program I want to go and I'm considering only ranking that program. I did apply to multiple programs to keep my options open but not many and I'm already running the risk of not matching with a low number of IVs. My question is how much can an application be improved by moving to the area and doing research or something to get to know the faculty? I already have a pretty extensive research background but not in the psychiatric field. My step scores and clerkship grades are decent and I don't believe that would be a limiting factor to matching this year.

Do programs look down on applicants that take a gap year rather than soaping into an intern year or something?

Any input is appreciated.
 
don't do it, it could be career suicide

if you are OK with potentially losing the chance to *ever* practice clinical medicine, and are willing to acquire the skills to make your MD more than a trade degree (which it sorta is), so that you qualify for the majority of non-clinical jobs (many still want an unlimited license to practice, which requires at least an intern year successfully completed, in most states, and often it's only an intern year in general fields, not all intern years qualify)

then go right ahead

I wish students were made more aware of the consequences of not matching, and what careers right out of med school would require
 
It is only 4 years of your life, don't throw away a career on such a drastic plan. Or did you not think of this when you entered the med school education tunnel however many years ago?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I agree with the majority opinion: try to match.

The gap year could be spent doing research with your program of choice if you land such a role, and having the faculty get to know you could give you an edge. The failure to match and year of skill atrophy, though, will decrease your competitiveness, so any edge you got from the year with the program would have to overcome that. Also, you may not be able to find a research role with the program faculty, and doing an "away" rotation after graduating may very well not be possible. You also set yourself up for the same dilemma next year: apply only to the desired program and risk a more desperate situation, or potentially match elsewhere.

While we don't know the nature of your family situation, I would strongly advise doing your best to match this year. This year is your best shot at programs across the board.