Suicide rate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

wolfvgang22

Full Member
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So in the last two years at my current position I've lost 2 patients to suicide I have a panel of about 1500 patients, of varying severity of illness. Is this rate of suicide typical, more than usual, or less than usual for a psychiatrist in practice?
 
So in the last two years at my current position I've lost 2 patients to suicide I have a panel of about 1500 patients, of varying severity of illness. Is this rate of suicide typical, more than usual, or less than usual for a psychiatrist in practice?

We had 3 out of 6000 patients at our SMI clinics for 2015. Not sure what the average rate is.

That patient panel tho...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm guessing you would need more years of data and some sophisticated demographic statistics to make any valid comparisons. Even then, death rates from psychiatric conditions can't just be tallied up in the say way as, say, death rates from lung cancer or appendicitis. Now if you came on here and said that half your patients were lost to suicide last year, then that would stand out, but what you're saying here does not sound remarkable to me.
 
I have not had any of my patients complete suicide yet. Lots of attempts tho. Several have died due to medical complications and substance use.

It's very difficult when your pt passes away. I frantically go through the records trying to figure out how I failed the patient. Hope you're doing ok.
 
If those numbers are right, it's almost exactly 10x the national suicide rate on an entire population basis.

2/1500=
0.00133333333

2014 suicides in US: 42,773 / 2014 US population 318.9 million =
0.000134126685

So about 10x difference.

It's very sad. Interpreting this with any certainty would be folly, but presumably the population that seeks psychiatric care is one of the populations more at risk for suicide. On the other hand, they are the one populations at risk for suicide who are receiving specialized care that in part should mitigate that risk to some degree.