suit color

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imlyndon88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
anybody wearing a non-black suit?

anybody hear or any advantages/disadvantages?

i know i'm asking a weird not really factual question but anything you heard/know would be cool.

at this point, I am freaking out about my interview

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
charcoal and navy are the most versatile and appropriate colors. most clueless undergrads do wear black, but black is really more appropriate for funerals and very formal occassions.

Having had an innumerable amount of suits over my lifespan, I agree that black is generally worn at special occasions and funerals. My "standard" suit has always been charcoal and that is the one that I am going to wear at all my interviews.

To the OP, just don't wear some funky bright gray suit from the 80's. Wear something dark and classy.

Go to Dillards/Macys/Mensware House and talk to them, explain that you have a professional school interview and need something appropriate. Black is to formal in my opinion, and I went with a dark charcoal. Obviously don't do something with stripes, you want to look professional not like a pimp or your in the mafia. I personally would stay away from colored shirts as well. If you want some color use the tie to get it, just dont go over the top. Also these places will fit the suit and tailor it to you so it looks properly. Those guys do this all day long, everyday, they wont steer you wrong.

Not sure what your budget is but Mensware house will probably be the best buy.

I'm wearing a dark brown suit. My friend did the same thing last year and had one person ask him about it, but I'm not worried about it.

Go to Dillards/Macys/Mensware House and talk to them, explain that you have a professional school interview and need something appropriate. Black is to formal in my opinion, and I went with a dark charcoal. Obviously don't do something with stripes, you want to look professional not like a pimp or your in the mafia. I personally would stay away from colored shirts as well. If you want some color use the tie to get it, just dont go over the top. Also these places will fit the suit and tailor it to you so it looks properly. Those guys do this all day long, everyday, they wont steer you wrong.

Not sure what your budget is but Mensware house will probably be the best buy.
hmmm....i like the beginning of your comment here.....BUT the bit about no stripes or colored shirt is incorrect.....it's good to allow your personality to come out in some ways.....shirt color, tie, etc.....give it a little flare....they see hundreds of applicants.....
I myself wore a nave suit with stripes and it looked great.....no pimp styleeeee
My buddy at the same interview also looked great....he wore a sweet dark/mild grey suit and a turquoise shirt with complementing tie......VERY fashionable!!

Let it loose a bit..if u have an interview ur good on paper and good enough for the school....they want to see if you fit their mold.......if ur going to LLU or something really conservative.....maybe take it easy.....BE YOURSELF!

I wore a navy suit to my interview. I kind of liked that I wasn't wearing a "normal" color that most interviewees were wearing. Don't wear anything but black, navy, charcoal, or brown though. Don't be TOO different! :cool: