Suit shopping help! (Male)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

buckeye4lyfe

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone!

I need to buy a new suit for dental school interviews. Where does everyone suggest? Also I want the cheapest one possible, so only suggest places where I won't be spending $400 for one.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've heard mixed reviews of Men's Warehouse, so it might be worth checking out. For the $100-$250 price range, I'd recommend Bar III from Macys, Thompson by J. Crew Factory, and Clariborne from JC Penny.
 
Got two nice suits- Belk (K. Cole) and JCPenny (J. Ferrar). Spent ~ 550$ for the suits, belt, shoes, two ties, undershirts and socks. Had some good sales going, which helped.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile
 
H&M have sport coats for pretty cheap. I have two that I bought for I think $75 each. Looks just like a normal suit. Just remember that the sport coats aren't in the same section as the formal wear.
 
If you have any outlet stores near you, check those out. I went to the Jos A. Bank outlet and got some nice stuff. I spent about $400, but I got 2 suits, about 5 shirts, 3 ties, belt, and (matching) shoes.
I know that's more than you want to spend, but I got a lot of stuff. I'm sure if you just want the coat and pants you can get something nice for a lot less.
 
If you have any outlet stores near you, check those out. I went to the Jos A. Bank outlet and got some nice stuff. I spent about $400, but I got 2 suits, about 5 shirts, 3 ties, belt, and (matching) shoes.
I know that's more than you want to spend, but I got a lot of stuff. I'm sure if you just want the coat and pants you can get something nice for a lot less.

How much does it cost to get the suit tailored at Jos A. Bank?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As a woman, I got an $85 suit at an H&M. I am not sure if they sell nice men's suits but they do have blazers and such. Dillards, Macy's and JC Penney also have excellent options on a budget. JC Penney...oh my, you can get so many coupons, my $60 shoes were $15. My boyfriend enjoys Men's Warehouse and several outlet stores, like Brooks Brothers and Jos. A Banks outlets.
 
How much does it cost to get the suit tailored at Jos A. Bank?
Not sure, I'm sorry. It was at the outlets so I don't even know if they do tailoring there.
We were neighbors with a nice Vietnamese lady at the time who owned a tailoring and alterations shop, so she gave me a really good deal with hemming and stuff.
 
I've heard mixed reviews of Men's Warehouse, so it might be worth checking out. For the $100-$250 price range, I'd recommend Bar III from Macys, Thompson by J. Crew Factory, and Clariborne from JC Penny.

+1 to this suggestion,

I got a Bar suit from Macy's for $180 and it came with a $50 gift card promotion back in September last year.
I've worn it several times over the wedding season and it seems to hold up very well.