Summa/NEOUCOM program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pathoss

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have an opinion of the Summa/NEOUCOM program in Akron?

Members don't see this ad.

My advice would be to read some of the threads on the pathology job market and ask yourself if training there will make you competitive enough to get a good job. If you think so, then do it.

That program is dope. Dr. Clarke is a great teacher, very nice. I have friends in the program and I think everyone who has been through there since I can remember (~2003) procured a good job and got good fellowships. I think you get free food and free parking at Summa as well. You can buy/rent an awesome place in that Akron Canton area. Traffic is not an issue. The airport is really cheap and convenient. You have ample opportunity to teach NEOUCOM medical students as well students. NEOUCOM (changing their name soon because they have a pharmacy school) is affiated with 6 hospitals (Summa, Akron General, Aultmann in Canton, Mercy in Canton, Forum Health in Youngstown, and St. Elizabeth in Youngstown) and all have clinical residencies, so there are 6 opportunities to slip into a job right there. The residency doesn't serve all of these hospitals, but you already have a chance to network with these pathologists. There are also tons of community hospitals in Ohio and Pa that you can feed into.

Hopefully someone did residency there will post more about the specifics, but I think that you would be making a wise decision to go there.

PS There is a Scutwork.com review. It is old, but I think it is probably still accurate.

http://www.scutwork.com/cgi-bin/links/review.cgi?ID=2404&d=1