summary of audio CDs for surgical review

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

treehorsio

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I read some of the old posts and seems that there's 4 main sources:

1. AudioDigest: $400/year, 24 Cds a year
2. NY GS Review: $1300 (!!!!), 48 CDs
3. SESAP 14: $600 (for residents), 26 "credits" - not sure how many Cds
4. Osler: $475 for MP3 cds to download, $545 for preloaded MP3

A few questions:
1. Most importantly, does anyone want to sell me theirs??
2. Which would be best for a resident rusty from lab years?
3. Are there some that are more engaging??? (my mind wanders)
4. Are there some that are better/worse suited to ABSITE vs. board review?

Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

i have listened to NYGSBR and SESAP 13/14
I think they are both worthwhile resources
certainly dont cover topics completly but i have learned things from them even as a chief resident
I would says SESAP is better for figuring out what people around the country are doing on treatment of diseases that is certainly not standardized or get some insight into other specialies they do not practice for board review purposes
All in all I like SESAP, especially when you get Weigelt pitted against some interesting folk like LD Britt

i have listened to NYGSBR and SESAP 13/14
I think they are both worthwhile resources
certainly dont cover topics completly but i have learned things from them even as a chief resident
I would says SESAP is better for figuring out what people around the country are doing on treatment of diseases that is certainly not standardized or get some insight into other specialies they do not practice for board review purposes
All in all I like SESAP, especially when you get Weigelt pitted against some interesting folk like LD Britt

How do you like the new background music for SESAP 14? It's a little more mellow...not safe for my post-call drive home.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys.

How are you paying for all these? out of your pockets? My institution does not have them for check out (although I am working on getting them to order it, but will likely not have the patience to wait).

sound like I will just have to cough up $600 for SESAP 14

How do you like the new background music for SESAP 14? It's a little more mellow...not safe for my post-call drive home.
my wife an i were listening to it an a recent rip and just looked at each other like " what is this"
they need some rock music like Vanderbilts burndocs ICU podcasts

NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE So. They can't reproduce, they will be screwed for life, and eventually the parents will have to tell them that they weren't really a dude at birth. Well, we're screwed. And so are they.

Not that I would ever do this, but does anyone know if the SESAP audio companion mp3s can be shared? Ie, split between a couple residents.

i would never share SESAP either, but i think for the sake of ... errr ... science and greater human understanding, we should find out if they can be shared, etc.

anyone know??

Not that I would ever do this, but does anyone know if the SESAP audio companion mp3s can be shared? Ie, split between a couple residents.
Can or should be shared? Because that's a serious legal question that probably won't be answered until the Supreme Court rules. Can you make a mix-tape for your SO? Can you burn a copy of the latest Lady Gaga album for your friend? Can you "share" MP3s with thousands of anonymous people over Bittorrent? Where do you draw the line? Where can you even draw the line feasibly (what's practical to enforce)? It's an interesting legal question (at least to me).

I'm sure if you asked the ACS, the answer would be a definite "no" as they would want each of you to buy your own copy. However, can they enforce it? Probably not. What you and your friends do is up to you though.

Yeah...Thanks for that.

As I'm sure you know, much of this software/audio stuff has security measures to prevent multiple loading or copying, etc. I was simply asking (to anyone who might give a legit answer) whether the SESAP Audio Companion allows this. *If* one were going to share this, it would be a bummer to spend $600, planning to split it, and then only come to find out that it isnt possible.

But thanks for the rant Guile.

Alright. I have a friend who wants to be a better surgeon but doesn't have a lot of money. He/she has maybe 2-3 friends who share these things in common. 600/4=150; still a lot of money, but feasible. I don't think anyone intends to broadcast it across the Earth, but who knows.

Like Rivera asked, is it possible to copy the program? If not, then my friend needs to save up $600.

Yeah...Thanks for that.

As I'm sure you know, much of this software/audio stuff has security measures to prevent multiple loading or copying, etc. I was simply asking (to anyone who might give a legit answer) whether the SESAP Audio Companion allows this. *If* one were going to share this, it would be a bummer to spend $600, planning to split it, and then only come to find out that it isnt possible.

But thanks for the rant Guile.
Sorry. I thought your question was one of philosophy.

Yes, you can rip any CD with the right software. Just don't count on being able to do it with iTunes.