Summer before Pharm School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yawj797

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, for all those who have been accepted into pharmacy school what are your plans for before next fall? I don't mean go on a vacation...but pharmacy related. Is anyone doing internships? How will you guys prepare? I'm still debating myself on how to spent the months leading up to school.
I'm currently working as a tech already...but I don't know if I should continue or chill for the summer because the next 4 years will be hell.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going to be trying to save up some money because I'll surely be paying it out next fall/spring. Do what you like, and what makes you happy. Since I'm coming from out-of-state I've got moving, trying to establish residency, and finding a job in NC to worry about.

I will be taking a class series during the summer that my school allows to lighten the load a little during P1 year. Also I am trying to get a tech job at a local retail or hospital and if I can't get that job, I will work as I always have making pizzas and doing construction. I will take 2 weeks off before school though to either travel or relax.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im just going to continue working to try and make some money before school starts. Im probably gonna have to take one or two missing pre-reqs which is going to suck. I agree with taking a few weeks off before school. Im gonna just go home for a couple weeks.

Here is my plan for now: I will have to take either a 3-week or 5-week course this summer, continue to work until the end of July, have a wedding (out of state) to attend. Then when I get back here, I have to start packing and moving. I might have a week or two to relax before school starts. I don't know if that is going to happen since I have to move out of state. I'm so tired of working that I might just take 6 months or a year off from working. We'll see.

I'm so tired of working that I might just take 6 months or a year off from working. We'll see.

You really do need a sugar daddy don't you? :laugh:

Well, this has sorta turned into a vacation, etc. thread...

My current lease ends July 15th. Hopefully I'll start moving across the state by July 1st. Me and the girlfriend will continue to work up until the last day we're in DFW. Then come back and tie up loose ends, including listening to the leasing office staff tell me how they are going to cheat me out of my damage deposit, and pick up our last paychecks.

Then I don't know yet... I'll have a good 2 weeks before "boot camp" (as it's called @ TTU), so I may go visit family up north for 10-12 days and then head back to start the next stage of my career.

In terms of pharmacy, I remember seeing a thread titled "things I wish I'd have known before starting pharmacy school." I think the author recommended reviewing organic chemistry and functional groups of it, basic anatomy and physiology, as well as learning the top 100 drug names. So I may begin with that. Plus, I now haven't taken an official math course in almost 2 years, so I may pull out the 'ole PCAT study materials and review my calculus/stats/probability/etc. just to be sure I don't forget it when I need it.

I plan on working at my little independent pharmacy, and I plan on working 50 hours a week. I have about 6 grand in credit cards (mostly medical expenses :eek: ) I want to pay off (or most of) before I start. What I don't pay off this summer, I'll pay with my loans. :rolleyes: