Summer Before PT school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dpta1998

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there anything you did summer before starting PT school that helped or something you wish you had done? Should I review some anatomy or something? Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
You can start reviewing muscle names and their location for arms/hands and legs/feet, can do head/face if you want. You can review the heart and its main (only) arteries and veins. That's should be enough for the summer and may save you a little bit of time for the 1st semester. But review that stuff more for yourself, don't treat it as something you must do before the program starts.

Is there anything you did summer before starting PT school that helped or something you wish you had done? Should I review some anatomy or something? Any suggestions?
Just relax. There's so much to learn, it's kind of futile to try to get ahead. Just enjoy your time. Maybe try to establish food prep and exercise routines if you don't already have them - they'll help with time, money, stress, and managing your health while in school.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just relax, some people in my class tried to study before hand and ended up not studying the right things and felt like they wasted their time. If anything, work on getting into a good sleep schedule and food prepping.

Another vote for getting your sleep hygiene in check, weekly meal prep dialed in, and a workout routine that you can maybe cycle back a little bit still keep during the semester.

I would honestly relax, get organized, get a good workout/sleep schedule. I can't imagine studying before starting, I would be burnt out halfway through the semester if I did. I've had friends in my class study actions/origins/insertions and ended up forgetting them before we got to that part of the body in anatomy.

Thank You for the responses! I think you all are right because I've been attempting to just brush up on some anatomy since its been over a year since I took it in undergrad but I honestly dont know where to start or how we will be taught it so I think its better to wait. Is there anything else you would've done the summer before?

Thank You for the responses! I think you all are right because I've been attempting to just brush up on some anatomy since its been over a year since I took it in undergrad but I honestly dont know where to start or how we will be taught it so I think its better to wait. Is there anything else you would've done the summer before?
Seriously don't bother. You will be starting from scratch as if you had never taken anatomy anyway.
There is nothing I would have done. However, the things I would NOT have done are buy all of the textbooks or my normal study materials that I used in UG and my MS. My studying habits changed a lot - I just finished my final didactic semester and the notebooks I bought before school are still sitting in my bookcase because I switched to studying with drawing pads, for example. I also spent easily $500 on texts the first semester, never once used any of them, and have bought maybe 3 textbooks since then, over 7 didactic semesters.

I completely get being excited, eager to start, feeling overwhelmed and wanting to start prepared. We all got here because we are overachievers, right? lol...but seriously, the absolute best thing you can do for yourself is make sure you start school fresh, well-rested, not burnt out and frazzled, and with a number of healthy habits ingrained into your lifestyle (sleep hygiene, exercise, diet, stress management/healthy relaxing hobbies etc).

Bought an iPad, I didn’t get it until halfway through first semester but I wish I would’ve had it from the start. I had to completely change the way I studied and having an iPad and a laptop was a game changer to me. A lot of people in my class did this as well.