• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Summer between MS I and II?

Mozart45

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2008
Ohio
  1. Resident [Any Field]
    So I did a search and didn't find any other threads on this topic, but what do most students end up doing in the summer months between MS I and II? Do people work at regular jobs, or do research? Could someone give me some examples of what is usually done?
    Thanks.

ShyRem

I need more coffee.
    Moderator Emeritus
    15+ Year Member
    Jun 17, 2004
    Where I hang my hat.
    1. Attending Physician
      My husband and I started building an addition to the house. By ourselves. With the exception of the roof and the concrete, we have put in every dang nail, cut and raised every board, hauled the rafters up to the second story by pulley system, laid all the electrical wiring, put in the doors, the windows, the walls, the electrical subpanel, and we're now working on insulation and drywall. It's taking a while. But it's a 2 story addition that will double the footprint of our house and give us a master suite (and the kids can have the other bathroom which we're all currently sharing).

On the downside, we're also broke from spending money on the building materials so far. :(

I figure it'll be done in time for us to spend one night in it before we leave for residency in two more years. :laugh:

But as for what is "usually done". Goofing off (well deserved). Work to earn money (smart). Research (one more thing for the CV). TA a class or two (money and CV item).

JaggerPlate

10+ Year Member
      May 28, 2007
      1. Medical Student
        My husband and I started building an addition to the house. By ourselves. With the exception of the roof and the concrete, we have put in every dang nail, cut and raised every board, hauled the rafters up to the second story by pulley system, laid all the electrical wiring, put in the doors, the windows, the walls, the electrical subpanel, and we're now working on insulation and drywall. It's taking a while. But it's a 2 story addition that will double the footprint of our house and give us a master suite (and the kids can have the other bathroom which we're all currently sharing).

On the downside, we're also broke from spending money on the building materials so far. :(

I figure it'll be done in time for us to spend one night in it before we leave for residency in two more years. :laugh:

But as for what is "usually done". Goofing off (well deserved). Work to earn money (smart). Research (one more thing for the CV). TA a class or two (money and CV item).

I loveeeee doing contracting work (as weird as that sounds). My dad bought a house when I was in high school, gutted it, and built the thing from the ground up by himself (with my and a few others help). It's pretty bad sometimes when you're in the heat of the moment doing something annoying, but you learn a ton of super valuable skills and it's funny how I actually enjoyed doing this kind of stuff after going through it once.

bth7

It's worth it in the end . . .
        10+ Year Member
        15+ Year Member
        Jan 11, 2004
        Brooklyn, NY
        en.wikipedia.org
        1. Fellow [Any Field]
          So I did a search and didn't find any other threads on this topic, but what do most students end up doing in the summer months between MS I and II? Do people work at regular jobs, or do research? Could someone give me some examples of what is usually done?
          Thanks.

Medical Spanish

Proyecto Liguistico
          Pop Wuj

bth

About the Ads
          This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.