Summer Classes

Started by Faze2
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Faze2

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know I asked this on a previous thread, but I figured I'd start a new one so this didn't get lost in the oblivion of the OCHEM thread.


1) I posted earlier that I was planning on taking OCHEM this summer, and many of you, and my pre med advisor, suggested against that. She told me that if I absolutely had to take a summer class, which I kinda do, I should take Physics. I am not that concerned that a condensed class will be more difficult, because I took many of my 400 level Economics courses for my degree in the summer and did well in them. I am more concerned that such a quick pace will not be condusive to actually retaining the material for the MCAT. I am planning to take a KAPLAN class so I was wondering if that would help to "make up" for any lacking Physics knowledge that some say a summer class might cause.

2) Also, I have thought about some of the advice I got to take BIO I this spring along with CHEM II, and then BIO II during the summer, that way I will only have one summer session class to take instead of two. This would be ideal, and then I could take ORGO and PHYSICS next year along with a higher science maybe, and then take the MCAT after I finish. But the school I am taking BIO I at may not offer BIO II this summer, cause they didn't last summer. If that happens, I would have to take BIO II next fall with ORGO I and PHYSICS I and basically I couldn't do that becuase in order to do well I could not work enough to support myself. Would it be a bad idea to take BIO II at another school if they offered it in summer? It would only be that one class, but would switching between schools be a bad idea? I am going to call the BIO dept tomorrow and see if they are offering BIO II in the summer. Any advice though would help.
 
1) I took both Organic I and Physics I during the summer (different summers, though). I'm not sure why it would be worse to take a three hour lecture versus a four hour lecture/lab course. I did just fine in both and in both cases they were not the only course I was taking over the summer.

2) It's not a bad idea and if you need the course over the summer then you should do it. You don't want to make a habit out of taking courses at other schools, but one summer course at a different school will hardly raise red flags. Don't forget that this is a marathon not a sprint. Don't take on too much at once.
 
Although I can't cite the research off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure that research shows that adults learn & retain best in intense immersion like settings. You know kind of like ORGO I over the summer.

RE: The BIO II over the summer at another school. It's probably OK. One thing to make sure of is that you take enough of the pre-req at your home school as to qualify for recommendation from the pre-med committee.
 
1) I took both Organic I and Physics I during the summer (different summers, though). I'm not sure why it would be worse to take a three hour lecture versus a four hour lecture/lab course. I did just fine in both and in both cases they were not the only course I was taking over the summer.

2) It's not a bad idea and if you need the course over the summer then you should do it. You don't want to make a habit out of taking courses at other schools, but one summer course at a different school will hardly raise red flags. Don't forget that this is a marathon not a sprint. Don't take on too much at once.

Like I said, I usually did well in my summer classes in my undergrad degree, and I think I retained the material as well as any other class during a regular semester. The reason I have so many questions about this class (looks like PHYS I and II) is because I have never really taken any of the sciences yet except for CHEM I, but that was during the fall, so I just wanted to make sure summer was not totally different for the science classes. But now that I think about it, some of the other summer classes I took were Statistical Foundations of Economics, and Econometrics, which are highlly intensive Econ classes that involve a lot of math and stat. But I remember that as long as I kept up with it, I did fine and knew the material. I think it depends on the person. But I'd still like to here more thoughts on the subject.