Summer courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kenzie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand that Indiana (and I'm sure others) offer summer courses to lighten the load during the year. What other schools offer summer courses and how does that change your schedule during the year? I.E. if you took class/classes in the summer did it give you a couple afternoons off a week where you would have been in class? I have young kiddos, that's why I'm asking.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I understand that Indiana (and I'm sure others) offer summer courses to lighten the load during the year. What other schools offer summer courses and how does that change your schedule during the year? I.E. if you took class/classes in the summer did it give you a couple afternoons off a week where you would have been in class? I have young kiddos, that's why I'm asking.

Thanks

I went to IU and took the summer classes between 1st and 2nd year. HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommended. It makes the course load during second year much lighter. I think they also offer some summer courses BEFORE 1st year starts, I'd recommend those as well. I remember hating the kids who had taken them because they'd always be done with class while the rest of us had to sit through another hour or two of histology.

I imagine every little bit helps! So what time were you done with classes then during the semester after you took the summer classes? Were the summer courses like 8:00-12:00ish?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have no clue. I remember that it was pretty slack. It's only a couple classes, so you're not THAT busy.

I know that you can take both Optics 1 and 2 before your first year at IU. If you take it you are in class about 3 hours in the morning 4 times a week then have lab on the other day for about 3 hours. The first session is 2nd week of May to mid-June and second session is mid-June to beginning of August. Then in the fall you have 3 hours less lecture and 3 hours less lab time each week. This year they are only offering one class (Ocular Motility) between the 1st and 2nd year. We haven't seen the official schedule yet, but I know it starts the second week in May and ends around June 15th. I would assume the weekly schedule will be similar to the optics schedule. I would highly recommend taking these classes. I didn't take optics in the summer (I got married instead :)) and I wish it would have worked out for me to take them. I will definitely take Ocular Motility this summer just to lighten my load for next fall.