Summer Experiences After 1st Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dogstar23

MsState CVM c/o 2025
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some good summer programs that people have participated in after their first year? Traveling would be fine, and I don't mind if a program is paid or not, but I don't want to have to pay for a program or housing. I am really unsure of what type of medicine I want to practice, so I have very little idea of what summer program I want to do! My school offers research, and I could return home to get clinical experience.

Members don't see this ad.

There are several things you can do. I participated in my school's Veterinary Scholars Research Program which was a good experience in working with lab animals and surgery on them plus research in general. Bonus was getting paid, my name on some papers coming up and ability to stay in my apartment. I also worked for a cardiology professor on campus during this time getting clinical experience. That worked out really well and I enjoyed it. I'm continuing both as much as I can during second year. I also spent a week at a clinic in another state that I just cold-contacted via e-mail. I told them I would need housing while I was there and they found me a place for a super low price. This summer I'm doing a study abroad faculty lead trip (these are also open to first years so see if your school has any of these out there). Also check your contacts. The summer before my first year I found the uncle of a friend that let me come stay at his home for the summer and work in his clinic. It was a great experience even though during COVID.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
The Banfield Student Job Program is great for learning and practicing lots of technical skills (sample collection, anesthesia, etc) in a small animal GP setting.

Reactions: 1 user