summer internships for 09?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

fightinaggievet

New Plan!!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Howdy!
I'm graduating from A&M in may with a degree in Biomedical Science. I was wondering if anyone knew of any summer internships for 09? Preferably in east or central texas. I have a lot of hands on with small animals and some with large animals but would be fine working with either. It'd be awesome if it was paid too since I don't have a whole lot of cash lying around.... Thanks for any help!!! 😀
 
Have you tried Googling for internships? I considered doing an internship this past summer, and I Googled phrases like "swine internship" or "dairy internship" and was able to find quite a few. Also, if you're interested in zoological animals, aza.org has internships listed on there. When I did my search, I was able to find many paid internship opportunities. I would suggest you start looking soon because many summer internships have application deadlines as early as the fall before!
 
I did google but was finding more pre-med interships than pre-vet. Thanks for the site though! I found two interships on there that would work perfect for me.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Maybe you'd like to add exotics or wildlife to the mix...👍

TAOS has four accredited sanctuaries in Texas. I have no idea if any are close to you or not. Also any internships you landed would most likely be unpaid.

Here's the list:

http://www.taosanctuaries.org/sanctuaries/atoz.htm

I think it'd be a super valuable experience, even just for a short stint.

Congrats on graduation! :luck:
 
I know it's not in Texas, so you probably won't be interested, but I'll post about this anyways in case it helps other pre-vets.

Try applying for an internship at the National Institutes of health! They have summer internships, some of which provide housing, *and* they have a post baccalaureate research program (it lasts a full year). NIH is NOT just for pre-med students, as many people think!

More info on their programs is here: http://www.training.nih.gov/student/

And sorry for the slight thread hijack 😀
 
Virginia Tech offers a research internship. It's called: Multicultural Academic Opportunities Program (MAOP). When you apply, you get to specify what area of research you're interested in, and it includes vet. med. That's what I did last summer--one of the best decisions.
http://www.maop.vt.edu/programs/summer.html
I worked with a professor from vet. school Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday, prepared for GRE on Monday, and attended clinical rotations on Wednesday. It was a GREAT internship. (and it pays $2,500).

Also, UC-Davis has a summer internship.
http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/studentprograms/subpages/sep_08.html

And Michigan State has one too. (I know a person who did this one, and it's basically all clinical)
http://cvm.msu.edu/student-information/cvm-undergraduate-programs/vetward-bound-program

But here's a list of health-related internships. Some of them sound pretty cool: http://legacy.swarthmore.edu/Admin/health_sciences/summer_opportunities.html
:luck: