Summer Job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ShineBrite

TTUHSC SOP c/o 2014
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ok here's my dilemma:

I'm a cpht, and have been for 1 year, but there are absolutely no jobs in my area. I'm really not exaggerating, I've tried retail and hospital, and nothing.

I have an opportunity to work at my university over the summer doing paid research projects with professors.

Should I hold out and hope for a job in a pharmacy? If I decide to take the research job and eventually find a pharmacy job, I feel like my professors will look down on me for quitting, possibly hurting my LOR chances. I do have pharmacy experience, I've worked at CVS (over the summer) and a local hospital (Aug.-Oct.), but couldn't make my work and school schedules fit. There is a pharmacy tech program at the local CC, so virtually all of those training students get the cpht jobs.

So my question is: if I decide not to pursue a job in pharmacy this summer, is my 6-month overall experience going to be enough for an Adcom to notice me?

I'll be a reapplicant (I'm still waiting on a couple schools, but not holding my breath), my overall GPA is 3.7, PCAT 79 composite, and I've done many extracurriculars and lots of volunteer stuff, but the only medically-related volunteer stuff was at the American Cancer Society. What do you guys think?
 
I believe that having a job and having stronger LORs is more important than trying to get more exp. in a pharmacy. Both your GPA and PCAT scores were greater than mine and I have no exp. working in a pharmacy, yet I was accepted to several schools.
 
I had limited pharmacy experience but had a strong research backgroung and strong LORS from the National Institute of Health and have a few publications... I think u should take the research job... u already have experience at cvs...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Your GPA's more than good enough to be noticed without significant work experience. You shouldn't have issues getting interviews, just apply early.
 
Ok here's my dilemma:

I'm a cpht, and have been for 1 year, but there are absolutely no jobs in my area. I'm really not exaggerating, I've tried retail and hospital, and nothing.

I have an opportunity to work at my university over the summer doing paid research projects with professors.

Should I hold out and hope for a job in a pharmacy? If I decide to take the research job and eventually find a pharmacy job, I feel like my professors will look down on me for quitting, possibly hurting my LOR chances. I do have pharmacy experience, I've worked at CVS (over the summer) and a local hospital (Aug.-Oct.), but couldn't make my work and school schedules fit. There is a pharmacy tech program at the local CC, so virtually all of those training students get the cpht jobs.

So my question is: if I decide not to pursue a job in pharmacy this summer, is my 6-month overall experience going to be enough for an Adcom to notice me?

I'll be a reapplicant (I'm still waiting on a couple schools, but not holding my breath), my overall GPA is 3.7, PCAT 79 composite, and I've done many extracurriculars and lots of volunteer stuff, but the only medically-related volunteer stuff was at the American Cancer Society. What do you guys think?

I hear what you mean! I personally have not worked in a civilian pharmacy in Abilene-I have only worked in the military pharmacy at Dyess. There is a girl in one of my classes and her dad is James McCoy. He owns a couple of pharmacies around Abilene. She might have some insight on what to do and what route to take. I can ask her. Have you tried volunteering at the base pharmacy? Or are you trying to earn money?
 
Ok here's my dilemma:

I'm a cpht, and have been for 1 year, but there are absolutely no jobs in my area. I'm really not exaggerating, I've tried retail and hospital, and nothing.

I have an opportunity to work at my university over the summer doing paid research projects with professors.

Should I hold out and hope for a job in a pharmacy? If I decide to take the research job and eventually find a pharmacy job, I feel like my professors will look down on me for quitting, possibly hurting my LOR chances. I do have pharmacy experience, I've worked at CVS (over the summer) and a local hospital (Aug.-Oct.), but couldn't make my work and school schedules fit. There is a pharmacy tech program at the local CC, so virtually all of those training students get the cpht jobs.

So my question is: if I decide not to pursue a job in pharmacy this summer, is my 6-month overall experience going to be enough for an Adcom to notice me?

I'll be a reapplicant (I'm still waiting on a couple schools, but not holding my breath), my overall GPA is 3.7, PCAT 79 composite, and I've done many extracurriculars and lots of volunteer stuff, but the only medically-related volunteer stuff was at the American Cancer Society. What do you guys think?

If you need a job then get a job. By no means should you hold out for something pharmacy-related. I think six months sounds reasonable. Generally, six months is enough to tell whether you think a career field is for you or not.

I've lately thought about not taking the CPhT exam. I bought a review book, but I really don't think that certification would mean a lot. Certification isn't required for techs in Arkansas, and I've never really noticed a job opening for techs. I could just see myself listing that on an applicatoin at some pharmacy and it being read like "you're certified as a what....by who?"
 
If you want to work as an intern while you're in school, it would be good to get some work experience as a tech. On the last job I went to, the pharmacist said that they hire people with experience over ones who do not have any.
 
I hear what you mean! I personally have not worked in a civilian pharmacy in Abilene-I have only worked in the military pharmacy at Dyess. There is a girl in one of my classes and her dad is James McCoy. He owns a couple of pharmacies around Abilene. She might have some insight on what to do and what route to take. I can ask her. Have you tried volunteering at the base pharmacy? Or are you trying to earn money?
I actually talked to a couple people about working at the base, but again with school it's been basically impossible. I've been taking 20hrs this semester and the last, and an 8-5 job just doesn't fit. And I definitely do need the cash, because I'm basically living off of loans for the school year (McMurry isn't cheap!), so I just don't know how much time I would have to volunteer. I'm meeting with one of my professors Friday to go ahead and talk about this summer, so I'm very excited!!