Summer Job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShineBrite

TTUHSC SOP c/o 2014
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok here's my dilemma:

I'm a cpht, and have been for 1 year, but there are absolutely no jobs in my area. I'm really not exaggerating, I've tried retail and hospital, and nothing.

I have an opportunity to work at my university over the summer doing paid research projects with professors.

Should I hold out and hope for a job in a pharmacy? If I decide to take the research job and eventually find a pharmacy job, I feel like my professors will look down on me for quitting, possibly hurting my LOR chances. I do have pharmacy experience, I've worked at CVS (over the summer) and a local hospital (Aug.-Oct.), but couldn't make my work and school schedules fit. There is a pharmacy tech program at the local CC, so virtually all of those training students get the cpht jobs.

So my question is: if I decide not to pursue a job in pharmacy this summer, is my 6-month overall experience going to be enough for an Adcom to notice me?

I'll be a reapplicant (I'm still waiting on a couple schools, but not holding my breath), my overall GPA is 3.7, PCAT 79 composite, and I've done many extracurriculars and lots of volunteer stuff, but the only medically-related volunteer stuff was at the American Cancer Society. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

I believe that having a job and having stronger LORs is more important than trying to get more exp. in a pharmacy. Both your GPA and PCAT scores were greater than mine and I have no exp. working in a pharmacy, yet I was accepted to several schools.

I had limited pharmacy experience but had a strong research backgroung and strong LORS from the National Institute of Health and have a few publications... I think u should take the research job... u already have experience at cvs...

Members don't see this ad :)
Your GPA's more than good enough to be noticed without significant work experience. You shouldn't have issues getting interviews, just apply early.

Ok here's my dilemma:

I'm a cpht, and have been for 1 year, but there are absolutely no jobs in my area. I'm really not exaggerating, I've tried retail and hospital, and nothing.

I have an opportunity to work at my university over the summer doing paid research projects with professors.

Should I hold out and hope for a job in a pharmacy? If I decide to take the research job and eventually find a pharmacy job, I feel like my professors will look down on me for quitting, possibly hurting my LOR chances. I do have pharmacy experience, I've worked at CVS (over the summer) and a local hospital (Aug.-Oct.), but couldn't make my work and school schedules fit. There is a pharmacy tech program at the local CC, so virtually all of those training students get the cpht jobs.

So my question is: if I decide not to pursue a job in pharmacy this summer, is my 6-month overall experience going to be enough for an Adcom to notice me?

I'll be a reapplicant (I'm still waiting on a couple schools, but not holding my breath), my overall GPA is 3.7, PCAT 79 composite, and I've done many extracurriculars and lots of volunteer stuff, but the only medically-related volunteer stuff was at the American Cancer Society. What do you guys think?

I hear what you mean! I personally have not worked in a civilian pharmacy in Abilene-I have only worked in the military pharmacy at Dyess. There is a girl in one of my classes and her dad is James McCoy. He owns a couple of pharmacies around Abilene. She might have some insight on what to do and what route to take. I can ask her. Have you tried volunteering at the base pharmacy? Or are you trying to earn money?

Ok here's my dilemma:

If you need a job then get a job. By no means should you hold out for something pharmacy-related. I think six months sounds reasonable. Generally, six months is enough to tell whether you think a career field is for you or not.

I've lately thought about not taking the CPhT exam. I bought a review book, but I really don't think that certification would mean a lot. Certification isn't required for techs in Arkansas, and I've never really noticed a job opening for techs. I could just see myself listing that on an applicatoin at some pharmacy and it being read like "you're certified as a what....by who?"

If you want to work as an intern while you're in school, it would be good to get some work experience as a tech. On the last job I went to, the pharmacist said that they hire people with experience over ones who do not have any.

I hear what you mean! I personally have not worked in a civilian pharmacy in Abilene-I have only worked in the military pharmacy at Dyess. There is a girl in one of my classes and her dad is James McCoy. He owns a couple of pharmacies around Abilene. She might have some insight on what to do and what route to take. I can ask her. Have you tried volunteering at the base pharmacy? Or are you trying to earn money?
I actually talked to a couple people about working at the base, but again with school it's been basically impossible. I've been taking 20hrs this semester and the last, and an 8-5 job just doesn't fit. And I definitely do need the cash, because I'm basically living off of loans for the school year (McMurry isn't cheap!), so I just don't know how much time I would have to volunteer. I'm meeting with one of my professors Friday to go ahead and talk about this summer, so I'm very excited!!