You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Summer Options
Started by HopelessGirl
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
because you've been awol during the year?Gosh I'm so nervous to email my PI from last summer..
No, actually I never mentioned the year to him (I thought I'd be there from then on) but then he told me on the last day, "Keep in touch once in a while" and I realized he had different intentions...because you've been awol during the year?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
oh. then u should just email him then no probs!No, actually I never mentioned the year to him (I thought I'd be there from then on) but then he told me on the last day, "Keep in touch once in a while" and I realized he had different intentions...
do you think it would be better I email my old PI and probably be more of a help than do my own research (but have that one PI only) or another one that wants me to have my own project?oh. then u should just email him then no probs!
sorry...did not comprehend this postdo you think it would be better I email my old PI and probably be more of a help than do my own research (but have that one PI only) or another one that wants me to have my own project?
I'm sorry!sorry...did not comprehend this post
So I have two options:
PI 1: First PI from last summer. Will probably help out (with either experiments or small things) before actually doing research.
PI 2: Mostly on my own with some help from a PhD.
well if i were you i would pick 2 hands down. but if you don't perform well with #2 you will be screwed.I'm sorry!
So I have two options:
PI 1: First PI from last summer. Will probably help out (with either experiments or small things) before actually doing research.
PI 2: Mostly on my own with some help from a PhD.
I have never heard of 3 classes counting as fulltime. My school (which didn't allow part-time enrollment) required you to take 5 classes the next semester if you dropped down to 3 at any point. So if you withdrew from a course, you were zero-tolerance 100% required to take 5 courses in a later semester to make up for it.I understand, but people take 3 here as a full time student so one that goes 3x the pace + requires so much memorization takes a lot more time than 3 regular paced-non orgo classes.
Besides, it's more like 2x the pace rather than 3...most semesters have 15 3hr weeks in them (for a 3 credit class). They have vacations in the middle, sure, but if your summer course meets 6hrs/wk for 8wks, it's a bit less than twice the pace.
One summer course is HARDLY a full-time load. Time-wise it is equivalent to taking 2 courses during the regular semester.
Then again, I didn't consider Orgo to be memorization-heavy, either...far more of a concepts course. It completely changed how I thought about chemical interactions. (Synthetic organic is very memorization heavy, though...on top of conceptual issues).
^ OP goes to a quarter system school where everyone takes 3 or 4 classes at a time (for a total of 9-12 for the year).
i haven't read this entire thread carefully, but OP why are you insistent on taking orgo over the summer? can you really not fit it in during the school year?
in general i think summer should be used to build your resume so that when you apply for jobs or grad school you have something more interesting to say than "i took a bunch of classes." plus, time away from hardcore studying during the summer can be a good way of recharging your batteries to avoid burnout. and... why fork up more money for classes during the summer when you could actually be making some with a job? it's my opinion only i suppose, but i tend to think one should avoid summer school at all costs.
if you are really struggling with fitting orgo into your schedule, have u thought about a post-bac at a less expensive (and probably easier) school after you graduate? or is orgo necessary for your degree?
also, i'm a grad of UofC, which from your other posts i gather is where u might be a student. PM me if you wanna talk shop. GL
i haven't read this entire thread carefully, but OP why are you insistent on taking orgo over the summer? can you really not fit it in during the school year?
in general i think summer should be used to build your resume so that when you apply for jobs or grad school you have something more interesting to say than "i took a bunch of classes." plus, time away from hardcore studying during the summer can be a good way of recharging your batteries to avoid burnout. and... why fork up more money for classes during the summer when you could actually be making some with a job? it's my opinion only i suppose, but i tend to think one should avoid summer school at all costs.
if you are really struggling with fitting orgo into your schedule, have u thought about a post-bac at a less expensive (and probably easier) school after you graduate? or is orgo necessary for your degree?
also, i'm a grad of UofC, which from your other posts i gather is where u might be a student. PM me if you wanna talk shop. GL
If they are already used to taking 3 courses in half of the time, then summer session with 3 courses should be a normal load to them.^ OP goes to a quarter system school where everyone takes 3 or 4 classes at a time (for a total of 9-12 for the year).
3 courses in the summer that go 2/3 times as fast? + 10 hours of lab a week + the horrible write ups.If they are already used to taking 3 courses in half of the time, then summer session with 3 courses should be a normal load to them.
Thank you, and yes in order to finish my major/take an higher up courses I should take Orgo in the summer.^ OP goes to a quarter system school where everyone takes 3 or 4 classes at a time (for a total of 9-12 for the year).
i haven't read this entire thread carefully, but OP why are you insistent on taking orgo over the summer? can you really not fit it in during the school year?
in general i think summer should be used to build your resume so that when you apply for jobs or grad school you have something more interesting to say than "i took a bunch of classes." plus, time away from hardcore studying during the summer can be a good way of recharging your batteries to avoid burnout. and... why fork up more money for classes during the summer when you could actually be making some with a job? it's my opinion only i suppose, but i tend to think one should avoid summer school at all costs.
if you are really struggling with fitting orgo into your schedule, have u thought about a post-bac at a less expensive (and probably easier) school after you graduate? or is orgo necessary for your degree?
also, i'm a grad of UofC, which from your other posts i gather is where u might be a student. PM me if you wanna talk shop. GL
Fair...if you're doing 10hrs of lab then probably only 2 courses in the summer. But you can't say that they're used to fewer classes at a time because they're in the quarter system and then also say that the summer classes are 3x as fast as they're used to.3 courses in the summer that go 2/3 times as fast? + 10 hours of lab a week + the horrible write ups.
At any rate, I still maintain that taking a single course (no matter the course) at a time is in no way a full-time load. You can do plenty of other things while taking a summer course.
The '3' number is fairly arbitrary; it happens to be what I took this year, so it's what I have experience with. I wouldn't personally take much more than that (maybe a non-science), but it was certainly do-able. A single course, yes, even at the increased pace of summer, is not something that should define your life for that time. I see no reason that you could not work in the same summer (even full-time).