SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Summer Plans before Heading to Pharmacy School?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by PharmingforLife, Nov 27, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. PharmingforLife

PharmingforLife

Mar 2, 2017
    Hi everyone!

I am in a dilemma right now of what to do in the summer. I'm not sure if I should continue working as a pharmacy technician or pursue a healthcare internship. I currently applied this application cycle, and I would like to do something productive over the summer before entering pharmacy school!

I already have about two years of pharmacy technician experience along with 4 years of clinical research experience under my belt, so I was thinking of doing the healthcare internship to branch out and network to see other interdisciplinary fields pharmacy is potentially involved in (I hope that statement makes sense). Or should I continue with my technician job and earn income to pay pharmacy school tuition?

Seeing how pharmacy is changing (for the good or bad), I was thinking of doing the internship, but I would like some genuine feedback! I do not have any family members who are in healthcare, so I don't have much career perspective. Any tips will be great!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. lalaland33

lalaland33

Sep 20, 2017
    What sort of internship were you thinking of doing?
    If it's not full time maybe you can continue working at your pharmacy part time.
    Next summer, I am hoping to begin the MBA portion of my PharmD/MBA.

capri1722 likes this.
  4. stoichiometrist

stoichiometrist 5+ Year Member

Aug 2, 2011
    I would rethink your career choice. You still have time to decide whether you're ready to sign away $200k+ in student loans.

5. KillaQueen

KillaQueen

Sep 20, 2017
    I see you all over the place, and I need to ask: what is your motivation here? I saw your username on this thread and knew what you had written before I clicked. I'm genuinely curious what brings you here everyday.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    Bluejay77 likes this.
  6. rcodyfb16

rcodyfb16

Apr 13, 2016
    Trying to help people. Ignore it if you want but he’s right.

Opticalfuture likes this.
  7. UGAZ

UGAZ SDN Gold Donor Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Jan 13, 2015
    I would quit pharmacy immediately...don't even look back....stoichio is legit!

Opticalfuture likes this.
  8. Hey @PharmingforLife - at that point you'll be accepted into pharmacy school (woohoo!), and since you already have SO much pharmacy experience under your belt, you of course shouldn't feel obligated to check any other boxes before beginning your classes. You should do what you enjoy or what you would find fulfilling! If any of these experiences would broaden your perspective in a way that you might not get in pharmacy school, then they seem like they would be pretty special opportunities, as long as you enjoy them as well. Speaking as someone who has been in similar shoes, I took some of that time to travel and then move to that city so I could familiarize myself with the area (and avoid dealing with the hassle of moving in the middle of classes). That was also a great way to meet and socialize with some of my classmates outside of school. I was really lucky to have the luxury to do this, of course, but it was the perfect reward after graduation and time to regroup before putting my best foot forward in the fall, and I wouldn't have spent it any other way. Many of my peers who were able to did similar things - one even hiked part of the Appalachian trail!

tl;dr: do what you enjoy and will help you put your best foot forward when you begin pharmacy school. :)