Summer Plans before Heading to Pharmacy School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmingforLife

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I am in a dilemma right now of what to do in the summer. I'm not sure if I should continue working as a pharmacy technician or pursue a healthcare internship. I currently applied this application cycle, and I would like to do something productive over the summer before entering pharmacy school!

I already have about two years of pharmacy technician experience along with 4 years of clinical research experience under my belt, so I was thinking of doing the healthcare internship to branch out and network to see other interdisciplinary fields pharmacy is potentially involved in (I hope that statement makes sense). Or should I continue with my technician job and earn income to pay pharmacy school tuition?

Seeing how pharmacy is changing (for the good or bad), I was thinking of doing the internship, but I would like some genuine feedback! I do not have any family members who are in healthcare, so I don't have much career perspective. Any tips will be great!

Members don't see this ad.

As the very small minority of healthcare practitioners do non-stereotypical work (my guess is <5%), it's a false choice either way without personal perspective. Do whatever you want to do if you can see a future where you're working at it willingly.

do not go to pharmacy school. do not enter the healthcare field. if you're just out of high school then you're young and you don't know what you want. go to state college for 4 years and take the general courses everyone takes. after 2 years you'll start to realize what you wanna do with your life. of course i can give all this extremely valuable advice but chances are you and people like you reading this will most likely ignore every drop of it and still go to pharmacy school/healthcare anyway. with that being said, i hope the job market isn't near impossible once you would graduate. it's already very difficult and people like me who are soon graduating are feeling the struggle and burn of finding work