Summer Plans, Need your advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marctam86

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, here's my situation. I was notified that I got into a SURP (summer undergrad research program) at Mount Sinai. If I accept the position, they said they will consider me for early admission into their mdphd program, which is great, because i want to do mdphd and stay in new york. admission is not guarenteed, though, you are only considered (you dont need to submit MCAT).

but i was also notified (informally by the lab i applied to, the official notice comes out in a few days) that i was accepted into the DAAD (National german exchange service agency) summer internship program, and that my university would cover my flight and rent with a travel fellowship.

Im not sure which to choose. MSTP spots are coveted items, and part of me thinks it would be foolish to pass up an opportunity like that. But I also want to go to Germany, and work in a lab there.

what do you think? does the chance of getting an MSTP spot outweigh the benefit of researching abroad under a fellowship? its a nice problem to have. im really interested in hearing what you have to say, the advice in this forum is usually dead-on. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Go abroad. It's not a sure thing and if you're a strong applicant, you'll end up with some choices for MSTPs anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to visit Germany, take the DAAD. It'll look awsome enough that it will outweight the early admission possibility anyway. You'll be spending the next 7-9 years in NYC, so see what it's like to live elsewhere. Being that you got both of these grants, I think it's easy to say that you'll have options.

I have to disagree. If you really have the opportunity to possibly get in early into an MSTP here, I think you have to take it, especially since you're focused on NYC. Graduate, then go take the whole summer and relax in Germany after you get in.

NYC has 5 MSTP programs -- I'd say go abroad and have some fun if you're MCATs and GPA and research experiences already mark you as a strong candidate

i think my gpa is above the avg for the nyc programs, and ive loads of research exp, just my MCAT worries me now. im taking it in may.

i emailed the MSSM people to see how many people would be offered an MSTP spot from the program. That info should help me decide. If I stand a reasonable shot at getting a MSTP shot that way, ill do it, otherwise, im leaning towards the lab job abroad.

Wow, please go abroad. You only get a few opportunities like that in a lifetime, and to do it under a fellowship - well that's just awesome.

Doing that fellowship abroad will help you at all schools in New York, not just Mount Sinai.

ok, good advice, looks like im going to germany