Summer Plans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WildAngel

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been hearing from everyone including professors and upperclassmen that summer break after first year is really the only summer break you have. The rest you're studying for your boards or you're in and out of clinics.

I plan on specializing in OMS so should I be doing something like research over the summer even though I desperately want to party?

What did you do during your summer break after first year? Care to share?

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of schools don't have a summer break :confused: I never did b/w 1st and 2nd year, and it's ok. You can still party and get good grades to specialize, at least i do. time management.

Research for OMS can't hurt.

However, it seemed like all the applicants to OMS from my class didn't have any research experience (at least not during dental school) and got multiple interviews. The higher your stats, the better your shot at getting the interview calls. Are you female? That can possibly help in the heavily male dominated OMS field.

We had a nice summer break every year in dental school - 7 weeks after first year; 4.5 weeks after second year, with an additional 5 weeks to study for the boards, so 9.5 weeks total; and 9 weeks after third year. Thank goodness, b/c that time off is really necessary to recover from the awful semesters.

First two summers I did research; the third summer I worked part time in an ortho office and stressed over ortho applications the rest of the time.

WVU SoD gets one week for summer break :( :( :( . That's for all classes. However, it's still great because the rest of the WVU students are gone, and the town is laid back and traffic free. You can go to the bar, and it's only you and your buddies. Sometimes that's lame, but we can always head to Pittsburgh. My summer plans consist of trying to catch up. My patient allotment was garbage, and now I'm behind.