Jan 24, 2010
Status
This summer I plan on taking Biology 1 and Chemistry 1 at the community college. I am a high school sophomore. Would this be beneficial, or would medical schools look down upon community college classes on a transcript?

In 8th grade I took Composition 1, and Statistics at the CC. In 9th, I took Comp 2, Government, and Sociology. Would these look bad?

The other option is AP Chemistry. I wanted to take AP Calculus instead though.

jvanewportnews

10+ Year Member
Dec 29, 2008
Virginia
Status
Pre-Dental
Go ahead and take them! You might be on your way to graduating high school with an associates degree:thumbup: AP Chemistry and/or CC Chemistry 1 may not be taken at the college you go to, may be taken as elective credits, or if they do take the credit for that course, there will be more chemistry classes to take in undergrad, so a head start never hurts. It will give you a good foundation to start college with. Is it possible to take both AP Chem and Calculus sometime throughout your high school career?

Sep 3, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Wow...that's a lot of CC classes in a short amount of time. Why are you in such a hurry to complete those classes? You're only a sophomore. Trust me, although it's important to try your best in school, you don't want to miss out on your high school days by going overboard with this stuff.

jvanewportnews

10+ Year Member
Dec 29, 2008
Virginia
Status
Pre-Dental
I beg to differ. I think all of these classes on his transcript before graduation shows commitment. 9th and 10th grades are much easier than 11th and 12th grades, and 8th grade for me was just plain boring. I'd think that he actually chose a good time to take those classes in order to prevent a work overload with the AP classes that he will probably take as an upperclassman. And yes, I too agree that it is important to enjoy these high school days, but there is still time to do things outside of classes. He says that he will take two courses during the summer, which leaves much freetime. Great plan:thumbup: