summer post-bac courses?

Started by Onward
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Onward

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am looking for advanced science courses during the summer to boost my undergraduate GPA. I majored in Bio but have a rather low BCMP of 3.1, so I've already taken all the core courses. Most summer programs I see have only the core courses on offer. Any help would be appreciated.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am looking for advanced science courses during the summer to boost my undergraduate GPA. I majored in Bio but have a rather low BCMP of 3.1, so I've already taken all the core courses. Most summer programs I see have only the core courses on offer. Any help would be appreciated.

At my local massive research-university-and-medical-school, UWash, where the upper div science offerings during the school year are nearly infinite, the only upper div science in the summer are genetics, micro, the odd public health offering in pathobio or whatnot, and grad seminars. These classes fill up immediately, and we run late out here (on the east coast "summer" starts in May, right? Here it starts mid-June.)

In your shoes I think I'd scramble through class lists at med schools and vet schools that are attached to undergrad programs. But this is tough - you might have to be an admitted student to see if classes are full or not.

There are some really cool structured summer programs, like Georgetown's GSMI http://som.georgetown.edu/prospectivestudents/gsmi/, and the SMDEPs. These tend to be competitive, and the deadlines are usually April-ish, but you might find something.

Best of luck to you.
 
O the georgetown thing sounds like just what I was after; thanks. If anyone knows any more like this, let me know.