Summer Programs For Premed Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MexicanDr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello-

I was wondering if any of you guys have attended any of these summer programs offered by various universities nationwide? What was your experience and would you recommend it?

I am in Ca, so I would love to attend one here. Which summer programs do you guys know about?

Thanks,

Eddie

Members don't see this ad.

Being an URM, you have soooooo many options. I did summer programs every summer and was accepted to several prestigious universities.

SMDEP (multiple sites) pre-med
Amgen Scholars program (multiple sites) research
Leadership Alliance (multiple sites) research
SEP at UNC Chap Hill premed
MED at UNC Chap Hill premed

this is just a few...

the best way to find programs is to go to schools you're interested in and search the site for programs. practically every school has summer programs. If you know you want to spend a summer in nyc, get a list of all the ny schools and get to clicking away. Hard work pays off. Good luck :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
oh yeah, maybe I should add that these programs offer $$$$

pre-med programs don't offer much...but doing research, you will bank...I'm talking +$3,000+flight+food+great experience in nice cities for like 8 weeks of work

Amgen Scholars program is probably best for you...

There's a site at like UCLA, UCSF, UCSD, CAL TECH, and Stanford...if you apply to all of those, you are bound to get into one (granted you have good grades, strong recs, and killer essays)

It really does not matter whether your summer "research" is at a prestigious university or not. We have many students come through my lab every year on these REU, Summer Scholars, other acronyms I don't bother to remember, etc. programs and some just don't get that the quality of the work they do matters, not where they do it at. People get here because they think it's "prestigious" and then just slack off the whole summer because they got in. I'll tell you those people won't get letters or won't get good ones. It's frustrating when you're a mentor for these students and they care more about checking off boxes than the work they're actually doing. Some even have the gall to demand a publication after three months work. What matters is that you do good work and the best way to figure that out is to research the department you're interested in doing the work at. If you're interested in cancer biology, you might want to look into MSK even if your ideal location is Chicago. With these programs, I don't think there's a guarantee of working with a specific PI (though you do get to list your top choices for many of them) but you can also look at the PIs at the institution you want to work at and see if they're doing work you're interested in.