Summer reading/2nd career

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psyapps

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was going to post this in the 2nd career thread, but I'd also like to start a ‘reading’ thread, so figured 2 birds...

I'm starting a psyd program this fall - very excited. I worked in the world of financial technology for about 10 years, completed a masters in counseling part time and volunteered at a few residential centers here and there.

It took about 3 years of living a 'double life'; would have been quicker if I didn't have horrible undergrad grades (could have skipped the MA). Now I'm just 2 weeks away from finally shedding the shackles of the soul stealing corporate world. Ok, maybe just being self congratulatory with this post. But I have to admit, it’s pretty sweet to think of a world where I don’t have Microsoft Excel in front of me 40 hours a week. Surreal even.

Anwayz, been trying to build up my reading list for a trip I'm taking between work and school. Looking for both light hearted fare and some old classics that all psychologists should read but most likely won’t be found on a syllabus (like Jung, man and his symbols)

I recently came across Irvin Yalom's 'Lying on the Couch' and enjoyed it, looking forward to checking his other works. I like the 'quasi fictional’ patient accounts. Are there other authors in a similar class that I have yet to find?

and what ‘classics’ would you consider to be essential for psychologists to read but under represented in most of today's programs?

Cheers all.

Members don't see this ad.

I believe you can get this on paperback but the Three Faces of Eve is pretty good. Read the book and then get the movie.

Well, my gut reaction is to encourage you to relax on your vacation. But I also remember the enthusiasm I had before starting grad school, and know that I wouldn't have listened to the above advice. ;)

So, with that said, I would recommend the following:

Wachtel's Therapeutic Communication is a great general introduction to psychotherapy.

Don't Shoot the Dog by Karen Pryor (an animal trainer) is a great refresher on basic principles of reinforcement. And, despite the fact that the author is neither a psychologist nor a therapist, it is a commonly-used book in doctoral-level behavior therapy courses/practica.

I've found both books to be extremely useful yet also easy to read and entertaining - perfect mix for a vacation!

Enjoy!

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, Yaalom's Love's Executioner annoyed me greatly....for a more philosophical outlook on psychotherapy and human nature, I recommend Man's Search for Meaning by Victor Frankl.
But if you must read on your trip, take some good plain fiction .... you'll have plenty of reading come September....

LM02 said:
Well, my gut reaction is to encourage you to relax on your vacation. But I also remember the enthusiasm I had before starting grad school, and know that I wouldn't have listened to the above advice. ;)

So, with that said, I would recommend the following:

Wachtel's Therapeutic Communication is a great general introduction to psychotherapy.

Don't Shoot the Dog by Karen Pryor (an animal trainer) is a great refresher on basic principles of reinforcement. And, despite the fact that the author is neither a psychologist nor a therapist, it is a commonly-used book in doctoral-level behavior therapy courses/practica.

I've found both books to be extremely useful yet also easy to read and entertaining - perfect mix for a vacation!

Enjoy!
i second that recommendation...VERY good book!

also Psychoanalytic Diagnosis by Nancy McWilliam......im not really psychoanalytically oriented per se....but it really does a good job of outlining the theories.