-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Summer reading before starting? (NOT textbooks...)
Started by Quality
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
That made me itch to read it again.I’ll save OP the trouble.
View attachment 340705
There. Now you don’t have to read that terrible book.
D
deleted1076141
Start reading through the A Song of Ice and Fire series by George RR Martin, the next book should be out by the time you finish your residency!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Medical
Jerome Groopman -How Doctors think.
Really good
Non-medical
I like Steven King and Dean Koontz
Jerome Groopman -How Doctors think.
Really good
Non-medical
I like Steven King and Dean Koontz
Thanks for all the recs!
I'm a pretty avid reader and finished a couple books recommended earlier. I probably need to stick to things that aren't soul crushing since when breath becomes air @Dame_Maggie and flutter @AlmostAnMD were both not exactly encouraging 😛 but fun reads. WBBA was tough to get through at points, that was a deep book. Flutter interested me because EM is high on my list and still is. Good read, no regrets about getting it but WBBA was more evocative.
Gonna pick up Star Beast next and then The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down. The description for that sounds fascinating. Thanks again all, especially @oldman and @gentlebalogna for what I bought next.
Lotta suggestions for King and Crichton. Read most of their works. Again I read a lot 😛 I grew up reading King in elementary school, I distinctly remember my 4th grade teacher calling a parent-teacher conference because I was caught reading cycle of the werewolf! Dad has a huge collection and didn't gaf. Told her to stop caring about what I read and to this day I still loan out of his impressive library.
song of ice and fire is a good suggestion as well but like most I'm waiting on WOW. Terrified about GRRM dying.
I'm a pretty avid reader and finished a couple books recommended earlier. I probably need to stick to things that aren't soul crushing since when breath becomes air @Dame_Maggie and flutter @AlmostAnMD were both not exactly encouraging 😛 but fun reads. WBBA was tough to get through at points, that was a deep book. Flutter interested me because EM is high on my list and still is. Good read, no regrets about getting it but WBBA was more evocative.
Gonna pick up Star Beast next and then The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down. The description for that sounds fascinating. Thanks again all, especially @oldman and @gentlebalogna for what I bought next.
Lotta suggestions for King and Crichton. Read most of their works. Again I read a lot 😛 I grew up reading King in elementary school, I distinctly remember my 4th grade teacher calling a parent-teacher conference because I was caught reading cycle of the werewolf! Dad has a huge collection and didn't gaf. Told her to stop caring about what I read and to this day I still loan out of his impressive library.
song of ice and fire is a good suggestion as well but like most I'm waiting on WOW. Terrified about GRRM dying.
For those who do not know about Hmong culture, it will certainly be highlighted with the gold medal performance of Sunisa Lee.The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman. It's fascinating.
I read his book Better a while back and it was phenomenal, highly recommend!Clifford the Big Red Dog
I'm not reading anything but I heard Atul Gawande's work is pretty good
Hey! I didn't make it through all the responses so please excuse me if any of these are repeats. Right now I'm reading Mr. Humble and Dr. Butcher by Brandy Schillace, she is a medical historian and steampunk icon. Her books are really well written.Excited to start medical school at a decent place in the midwest
getting geared up and ready to move, but also looking for book recommendations
Not textbooks. I imagine I'll have plenty of reading on the to-do list this fall 😛 But more fun, beach readin' stuff.
thoughts? Mostly looking for good non-fiction or interesting fiction. Can be medical or otherwise.
What are y'all readin?
Interesting fiction: Conjure Women by Afia Atakora. It's a well researched historical fiction about a family of enslaved medicine women around the time of emancipation.
Totally different: Entangled Life by Merlin Sheldrake. This is a paradigm altering book about fungi. It reads more like a novel than a textbook for sure, but it is still full of info.
These were a couple of the books I have read this summer that gave me some peace between work and masters courses! Enjoy
These are some light summer fiction reading that you may find enjoyable.
Medical or medical related
The Interns by Richard Frede
MASH: A Tale of Three Army Doctors by, Richard Hooker
Doc Martin: Practice Makes Perfect by Sam North
Critical Care: A Novel by Richard Dooling
Arrowsmith by Sinclair Lewis
Paper Mask by John Collee
The Physician by Noah Gordon
Non Medical
Alice’s Adventures In Wonderland, and Alice Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carol
How I Became Stupid by Martin Page
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
The Richest Man In Babylon by George S. Clason
A Million Ways To Die In The West by Seth MacFarlane
Soon I Will Be Invincible by Austin Grossman
Medical or medical related
The Interns by Richard Frede
MASH: A Tale of Three Army Doctors by, Richard Hooker
Doc Martin: Practice Makes Perfect by Sam North
Critical Care: A Novel by Richard Dooling
Arrowsmith by Sinclair Lewis
Paper Mask by John Collee
The Physician by Noah Gordon
Non Medical
Alice’s Adventures In Wonderland, and Alice Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carol
How I Became Stupid by Martin Page
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
The Richest Man In Babylon by George S. Clason
A Million Ways To Die In The West by Seth MacFarlane
Soon I Will Be Invincible by Austin Grossman
This blog has some books!Excited to start medical school at a decent place in the midwest
getting geared up and ready to move, but also looking for book recommendations
Not textbooks. I imagine I'll have plenty of reading on the to-do list this fall 😛 But more fun, beach readin' stuff.
thoughts? Mostly looking for good non-fiction or interesting fiction. Can be medical or otherwise.
What are y'all readin?
– The Female Physician
Welcome! This is a blog that I've created to talk about my experience in medicine so far, specifically my experience as female. I believe that the field still has a lot of growing to do before females and other minorities feel a sense of equality, and conversations about this is where that...
I finished All the Young Men: A memoir of Love, AIDS, and Chosen Family in the American South. It's a memoir by Ruth Coker Burks, a woman (not in healthcare) who started caring for HIV/AIDS patients in Hot Springs Arkansas from the mid 1980s onwards. It's a really easy read. It reads just like she's talking to you and you get a lot of Southern (white) culture. It's truly remarkable how she started doing HIV tests at home, giving out medication, doing her own research at a time when not many physicians or healthcare professionals would. I think it's a great example of finding an issue and doing something concrete about it. Highly recommended!
groveatlantic.com
I started Inflamed: Deep Medicine and the Anatomy of Injustice by Rupa Marya (internist at UCSF) and Raj Patel. This book is essentially about how capitalism, colonialism and systems of oppression cause inflammation (inflammatory diseases/processes) in the body and the world. It's in the vein of public intellectual works (e.g. Sowell, Krugman, Gladwell, there are too many to list) so it's not really nuanced. They stitch together a lot of different threads to create an interesting framework/perspective. I'd still recommend it but don't take them literally. They cite some great sources and give students and practitioners of traditional allopathic medicine another angle to consider.
us.macmillan.com
All the Young Men | Grove Atlantic
...Burks, a young single mother in Hot Springs, Arkansas, who finds herself driven to the forefront of the AIDS crisis, and becoming a pivotal activist in America’s fight against AIDS...
I started Inflamed: Deep Medicine and the Anatomy of Injustice by Rupa Marya (internist at UCSF) and Raj Patel. This book is essentially about how capitalism, colonialism and systems of oppression cause inflammation (inflammatory diseases/processes) in the body and the world. It's in the vein of public intellectual works (e.g. Sowell, Krugman, Gladwell, there are too many to list) so it's not really nuanced. They stitch together a lot of different threads to create an interesting framework/perspective. I'd still recommend it but don't take them literally. They cite some great sources and give students and practitioners of traditional allopathic medicine another angle to consider.
Inflamed
Raj Patel, the New York Times bestselling author of The Value of Nothing, teams up with physician, activist, and co-founder of the Do No Harm Coalition Rupa ...
Last edited:
If you want something medically related, consider In Shock by Dr. Rana Awdish. She discusses the culture of medicine as she experiences being a critically ill patient as a physician. This was assigned reading in the intro class at my school and it absolutely blew me away!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 897