Summer Research Opportunity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Precious411

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in pursuing a dual MD/PhD. I have been offered summer research positions at GA Tech and UPenn. I would prefer to accept UPenn, but they do not have family housing and I'm from Atlanta so I could always stay with my mom. Should I attempt to make arrangements for my son in GA while I go to Philadelphia or would GA Tech look equally well on my resume? Keep in mind that I would be working at UPenn's medical school and I hope to apply there in the future. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Members don't see this ad.

Precious411 said:
I am interested in pursuing a dual MD/PhD. I have been offered summer research positions at GA Tech and UPenn. I would prefer to accept UPenn, but they do not have family housing and I'm from Atlanta so I could always stay with my mom. Should I attempt to make arrangements for my son in GA while I go to Philadelphia or would GA Tech look equally well on my resume? Keep in mind that I would be working at UPenn's medical school and I hope to apply there in the future. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

I say keep your kid. Its summer! Might as well enjoy it while you do some kick @$$ research. GA, here Precious comes!

Precious411 said:

GA Tech might look equally good on your resume, but I've heard that medical schools are more likely to accept applicants who have some connection with them (i.e. doing research there). I think it shows an interest in the school and MD/PhD programs (Penn's in particular) seems to be all about "showing interest" if you're interested. I can't count how many times during Penn's interview visit someone told us to "keep in touch." But yeah, there is the matter of that kid...

Members don't see this ad :)
Precious411 said:

How old is your son? Maybe it would be possible to have him stay with your mother or another relative for the summer or enroll him in a camp for part of the summer? I think you probably know your family situation the best and if that would work. The summer is pretty short though. If you could work out arrangements that you and your son are comfortable with, it may be a good opportunity to try UPenn's program. If it's too hard on yourself and your family I don't think GA Tech would be a bad option either. Summer programs are so short you really can't get too much accomplished in a couple of months. It may not really matter where you are as long as you get a feel for what research is like. If you were to take a year or two off and do something more long term, then I definitely think where you are makes more of a difference.

Precious411 said:

Ah what the hell. Bring the kid over. I'll watch him for the summer. Teach him to play some pool. Maybe take him to work a few times. Can he throw a football? Always wanted a son of my own, without having to go through the whole gestation period thing. Whatdyasay? :D

I appreciate all the responses. My desire to go to Penn wasn't so much for the research as it was making connections that I could draw on when I apply to med school. But GA Tech is starting to look like the lease stressful alternative, if I can't find anyone to keep my son. He is only a year old, so he would have to be in daycare or stay with a trusted individual during the day.